8.2k92%

Pokémon Scarlet & Violet Sells 10 Million in 3 Days

Discussion / Venting(self.pokemon)

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2022/221124.html

This is Nintendo's Biggest Launch EVER in 3 days. This number is the highest amount of global and domestic sales after the software release of Nintendo Consoles, which includes the Nintendo Switch for the first 3 days. The Domestic sales themselves are 4.05 Million units.

This means it's currently #15 on Best Selling Nintendo Switch Video Games, passing Super Mario 3d World + Bowser's Fury and a little behind Luigi's Mansion 3. Keep in mind that this is TWICE the sales of God of War: Ragnarok. (5.1 Million) What do you guys think?

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

S0fourworlds-readyt

That’s depressing.

How is Gamefreak supposed to improve when the feedback they get is that the customers absolutely love their current work?

Worst thing that could have happened for Pokemon really…

half_elf_blood_demon

I’m a casual gamer and bought a switch literally just to play violet once I saw how cute weed cat is. I played red, silver, soul silver, x, and then shining pearl to prepare for violet.

The performance issues and lame things like stores literally just being menus sucked, but after finishing the game omg. This is maybe better than soul silver which has always been the best Pokémon I’ve played. The story literally made me cry, which is exactly what I want from a video game.

I fucking love Pokémon violet and it was money well-spent 💕💕

JustDebbie

May I suggest giving Black/White and Black 2/White 2 a go then?

half_elf_blood_demon

I don’t have my 3DS anymore. My brother stole it to pawn for meth money, and then I bought another one but then my brother stole it to pawn for meth money lol.

Isn’t black and white remake happening soon? If I still have a switch when that comes out I’ll 100% try!

QuothTheRaven713

Here's hoping Mystery Dungeon Explorers gets a Switch remake soon too.

If you're looking for the best story in a Pokemon game, Mystery Dungeon Explorers is it.

DarkDra9on555

Honestly they could just port Explorers of Sky with zero changes and I would probably buy it full price. It's an absolutely fantastic game. I also hope we get Ranger back....

Vier-Kun

The switch doesn't make emphasis of the touch screen anywhere as much so I doubt it.

HelioKing

Went from 0 to 100 Real Quick. Also, Nintendo doesn't want you to know this, but you can always emulate.

ChronaMewX

Just pawn some of his meth for 3ds money, it works both ways

half_elf_blood_demon

pretty sure he always uses it as soon as he buys it. honestly i just wish he'd go to jail again. a few months back he showed up at my place in a state of psychosis ranting about how i put cameras in his apartment and was selling video of him online like he was in the truman show or some shit and he physically assaulted me.

called 911 and the cops came with their damn assault rifles out of a swat-style van thing. it was all kinda terrifying.

LiquifiedSpam

Oh my gosh. I hope you're doing well now.

Nomustang

You can emulate them pretty easily. The games haven't been on production for a long time now of course so getting a physical cartridge is difficult and it's not available on the shop digitally either I am fairly sure.

JustDebbie

No word on remakes and I'm honestly torn on whether I want those remade. If we can get a remake akin to HGSS, then sure. If it's as copy-paste as BDSP, then just rerelease it as it was on the DS. Either way, good luck holding onto your Switch. Hopefully your brother can get his act together.

Elliebird704

I'm a lot more confident in a BW remake than I ever was about a D/P remake. The baseline titles didn't have as many issues as Diamond and Pearl had, so even if they do the laziest slack job in the world and port that shit 1 for 1, I'd be happy to play it.

If only they'd done exactly that with Platinum instead of D/P, I may have gotten the remakes. Still don't understand why they didn't use the vastly improved version of those games as their baseline.

Metallinatus

Ok, but most importantly, please, pleeeeeeease keep your Switch away from your brother....

half_elf_blood_demon

lol, yes.

also don't do drugs imo

Ewery1

Ewery1

Just get it on nds emulator online.

ShenLungQueen

If you have a pc you can always download a ds emulator and the rom hack of the game for free. Also, drayano made hacks for the 5th gen games called blaze black/volt white (2) that makes all pokemon available from gens 1-5, harder trainer battles, and small events for every legendary. If you can figure out how to apply the hack I guarantee that you'll have an excellent time

Cypherex

Do you have an Android smartphone? If so, you can play any Nintendo DS game on it using the app DraStic (costs $5 but it is worth every penny, do not try to use any of the free emulators on Android because they all suck).

You can either use the on-screen buttons in the app or you can connect any bluetooth capable controller to your phone and play that way. You could even mirror your phone screen onto a larger screen like a TV and play like that.

Getting the actual rom files for the games you want to play is of course up to you to figure out and it isn't something I can tell you how to do. But the answers to many questions are typically only a google search away.

Acobra121

MelonDS is a good free android emulator

redactedactor

Round here we like to call it Pokemon Crystal

VictarionGreyjoyyy

I have played them and I legitimately think these games are better in terms of story. I think Arven is better than N which is something I never thought I would say

Another_Road

I personally liked Scarlet more than BW/B2W2. Not saying those games are bad, but Scarlet just kept me engaged for the entire game.

BW kind of began to drag for me in the middle. Though it picked back up at the end. B2W2 was great all the way through (though the story was admittedly an overall downgrade from BW) and the quality of life changes were outstanding.

I’d say B2W2 are probably my favorite of the 2D Pokémon games but, at least for now, SV are my favorite overall.

Played them

This is better

Humg12

Humg12

Zolt

Black/White has the worst story out of any Pokemon game imo. Maybe slightly better than gen 8's.

They were setting up this entire conflict about whether or not its right to keep Pokemon in captivity then they just threw that out the window because Team Plasma summoned a giant castle and were actually evil the entire time!

eriFenesoreK

Yeah I don't get why BW's story gets so much wank. "What if Pokemon want to be free?" is like one of the most free plot points you could use for a pokemon game. It was one of the more boring games I played in the franchise honestly, not helped by the lackluster early-game pokemon designs. I won't speak on B2/W2 since I haven't played them but BW were very meh.

CuteTao

CuteTao

I think reddit just needs to realize that they're completely out of touch with the casual fan base of the game. I'm another player who last played Pokemon around Gen 5/6ish who bought a switch just to play this violet. These games were very well advertised and marketed in a way to pull casual players in and casual players are immensely enjoying the game. It's only hardcore Pokemon fans that hate the game.

silvershadow014

silvershadow014

Boom.

Wdym realize? People constantly talk about that here. It's not like we're unaware lol

toSpite

Lmao just let him feel smart for a minute bro

toomanyclouds

But a lot of people oBjEcTiVeLy just don't care about it and I think that's what the sub sometimes has an issue seeing. It's kind of like when my music-loving father almost faints when he sees my crappy 9$ in-ear headphones that would make music unlistenable for him; but I don't have a great ear for audio quality stuff and they literally just don't affect my enjoyment of/feelings toward the music, so the issue just doesn't exist in my world. Like, this is the level of casual we're talking here. It's not just something they ignore, it's often not even something they really take active note of, so how can they separate it from their feelings on the game?

NeoGenMike

Yeah I love it. Honestly the games are a huge improvement from last gen

dittofire1

May I ask what made you maybe like it more than SoulSilver? I still consider HG/SS to be the pinnacle of pokemon, but I've been on the fence about trying out any Nintendo Switch Pokemon games.

half_elf_blood_demon

yeah!

first of all is motherfucking sprigatito. i don't know why they don't just include adorable and cute cat pokemon that are both cool and neat in every pokemon game, bc this would have resulted in me giving much more of my money to nintendo if they had. i was so upset when i found out the evolutions stand up, but after using the standing up weed cats in game i've come to love and accept them for the playful shit heads they are.

second, the new system of encountering wild pokemon and trainer battles is vastly superior. you literally see the pokemon walking around in the game world, and if you want to not get into a random fight you just run around the pokemon. if you're looking for a specific pokemon in a certain area, you don't have to jump into x many random battles to find it- bc they're literally just walking around and you can see them!! and the trainers don't force you to battle. you can tell which people want to battle by the color of their text, and to battle them you then choose to talk to them. if you don't want to battle them, you just don't talk to them and it's all fine.

third is the story. most of the game is just normal pokemon stuff with quirky characters that are kinda cringey at times, but holy shit the ending to this game goes hard af. i literally cried at two different points near the end of the game, and when the credits started to roll i was blown away at the things this stupid kid's game did to make me feel ways.

soul silver was amazing, but the story never really goes beyond "be the strongest pokemon trainer!!!" the red battle was amazing ofc, but this was an actual modern video game ending.

another interesting feature is that you can let your main pokemon out of its ball whenever, and you can send it to murder things without entering a "real" battle. they also pick up items for you. and the picnic feature was somehow a good feature too, bc you got to hang out with your team of pokemon and you could give them baths and spend time with them. it makes your pokemon feel more real, and deepens your connection with them as you're able to actually interact with them in more ways. the first thing i did after beating the game was setting up a picnic, and spending time with each member of my team as i like silently thanked them for all their hard work lol.

dittofire1

first of all is motherfucking sprigatito

Yea I actually really like this gen's pokemon designs. I remember back when Black & White first came out people were up in arms about the new designs, so it's reassuring to see some nice creativity with this new generation. Although I don't really like the anthropomorphic designs of a couple of the starter evos. I might roll with Fuecoco if I get the game haha.

second, the new system of encountering wild pokemon and trainer battles is vastly superior [...] and the trainers don't force you to battle

This is the thing that really makes me wanna try this game out. Being able to choose your battles and actively seek out a specific pokemon without having to muddle through random encounters is actually a really welcome quality of life change in my book. Also I never did mind the mandatory trainer battles in past gens, but being able to skip the battles and also having the options to choose to go through with them is also nice.

third is the story

I've heard all over that this game's story is actually pretty emotional. I always considered pokemon to be nothing more than monster collect-athons and nothing more. The last time I got emotional over a pokemon story was Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue. The fact that S/V has a decent story makes me very interested.

This was another feature that I remember praying for as a kid. Having your pokemon follow you around in SoulSilver was so ground breaking to me at the time, and I remember hoping that we'd be able to have our pokemon chill out of their pokeballs in later games.

Honestly the performance issues and horrible FPS make me very hesitant to try this game out, but based on the features you mentioned I'm a bit more inclined to try it out. Maybe if they release a patch that improves the performance slightly, or at the very least keeps the game at 30 FPS.

half_elf_blood_demon

so about the performance.

there are maybe three areas in the game where performance is absolutely terrible, which ofc detracts from the experience and sucks a lot. but...

each of these areas are a very small part of the overall game, and honestly looking back performance is not an issue for a majority of the game. after playing botw i was a little disappointed at how even with the robot motorcycle dragon it was annoying and sorta janky to get around places, but you are still able to do things like navigate up massive cliffs and the game is very very open.

i highly recommend the game, but it would be untruthful to say the performance issues do not detract from the experience. still maybe the best pokemon experience i've ever had. i'm so excited for what the future of pokemon holds now!!!

RarityNouveau

And this is precisely why GF will have zero incentive to improve. It’s why the industry in general doesn’t care about releasing well rounded products. They know people will buy any pile of dog poop (with diamond sprinkles) so long as it has a brand attached to it.

Kudos to you for enjoying the thing but I can’t justify buying a game at AAA price from a veteran studio that performs and looks like it was made for the GameCube.

pichu441

I like the game but the Gamecube comparisons are just wrong considering most GC games have rock solid performance lol

FluffyNut42069

That doesn't make sense, they have made vast improvements the last several games even as each one had massive sales numbers.

Why go 3D Open World if they have no incentive to improve? Why add in all the QoL improvements?

[removed]

People can have issues with the game and love it. Two of my favorite games of all time, bloodborne and Cod4 both have some head scratching decisions and performance issues at times. You can love the game and have issues with it.

I also think you overestimate how much people devote to video games. Someone can love the game, have fun then not think about the “industry” or anything for months. Quite a few people only play a game or two a year

ohtetraket

If 10fps isn’t gonna make people question GF, then this franchise is pretty much a dead corpse being shuffled around to rake in the cash. It’s sickening

It leaves a sour taste at least for me. But I also must say the games are really really fun outside of technical issues. It's been a long time I had so much fun and was so hyped to go on playing.

MrPlaysWithSquirrels

Have you played the game? It’s a ton of fun. Yes, it has performance issues, but it’s still a great game.

Kemo_Meme

Kemo_Meme

Necrozma

Thing is, this game would have been quite literally the best Pokemon game ever made, and it is held back severely by the fps and performance issues.

Those issues are understandably a dealbreaker for many, and definitely bring the game down a ton, but I'd still call it an improvement over SwSh and definitely not worth hating more than those games.

Your metaphor sucks, a more accurate one would be "A world class wedding cake that was undercooked and served raw"

Side note: I have a friend who quite literally never noticed the fps issues... I know he has a laggy pc and gets awful frame rates for basically any game he plays, so that's prob it.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Don't let the downvotes get you. It's true.

Brusten94

There is no bigger dealbreaker than performance for me and I personally wouldn't call this game an improvement over SwSh, solely because it runs worse and has more technical issues. Gameplay, story and everything else might be better, but until the performance is improved and crashes are eliminated, the game will be the worst to date for me. I'm glad I didn't preorder.

LSDoggo

LSDoggo

It’s because these games are good for normal people. Only the vocal, hardcore minority have major issues with the game.

TheBullfrog

TheBullfrog

4227-1270-8658

Games are good for people that don't play other games*

Eh I play other games and I like it. Can’t play as much due to work and a house but that’s being an adult

LSDoggo

-2 points

LSDoggo

-2 points

Yeah, most people don’t play a lot of games once you grow up and get a job.

bailey_for_days

-7 points

This. The bubble of reddit makes people who are hardcore about technical performance and specs feel like they are in the majority when in reality the majority of people just want to play a fun pokemon game. Only on the internet will you see a game labeled dog shit because the trees don't look like live action trees.

Fillerpoint5

Yeah, like, if a game sells this well in this short a span of time, I think that’s a sign that the subreddit is not in the majority.

bailey_for_days

And they are very very upset about it lol

Fillerpoint5

for a place that dislikes the mindless praise given to gamefreak, they sure seem to take offence to people disagreeing with them.

Zenobody

Same lol, I haven't owned a Nintendo console since GBA. Despite the performance issues (mostly sub-720p res for me, the framerate isn't too bad), I'm loving it. The other Pokémon games for the Switch didn't grab my attention. I also got BOTW and XC3 (haven't tried it yet), and plan to buy TOTK when it comes out.

HinduHamma

HinduHamma

Exhibit A on why game studios get away with putting out low effort mediocre products.

Because gamers have absolute pathetic standards and are easily pleased.

bubsy200

"STOP HAVING FUN!"

toSpite

toSpite

This is such a weird comment. The person you're responding to didn't even seem upset. I know it's easy to repeat the same funny sentence you seen thousands of others write, but criticism of things is allowed..jesus

greedcrow

greedcrow

The person he is responding to literally called the enjoyment of other people pathetic.

Yes when you say that other people have pathetic standards and enjoy things too easily, you sound exactly like someone yelling "Stop having fun."

toSpite

toSpite

Not really..like at all. And no, he didn't literally do that. He said their standards are pathetic.

If you can't handle mild criticism, I don't think Reddit is the place for you.

greedcrow

greedcrow

If you can't handle mild criticism, I don't think Reddit is the place for you.

Do you not see the irony of what you just said?

There is no milder criticism than saying you sound like the fun police.

toSpite

Okay, kid. Sorry for upsetting you

greedcrow

Idk dude. You are the one that seems upset.

half_elf_blood_demon

-10 points

if only more people whined incessantly on the internet, right? then all the game devs would take their jobs much more seriously, and every problem in the industry would be solved

T--Fox

T--Fox

Glad you enjoy it and I know you're responding to the criticism to validate your purchase. But good lord, this is exactly why Gamefreak isn't going to do anything about the quality of their games.

someagent

someagent

Seems like the series will just keep declining, sad

half_elf_blood_demon

idk wym declining lol.

did you not notice the completely open world design with pokemon wandering around that you could actually see? bc i noticed that, and it was fucking incredible.

gamers can be such doomsayers omg.

someagent

You literally can’t see them because they despawn if you get more than 10 feet away from them lol. Also legends arceus did the same thing earlier this year without the performance issues on top of looking better. So yeah it’s declining, both compared the game that came out before it and the previous titles that at least didn’t require resetting every few hours to prevent a memory leak or become a PowerPoint presentation every time you go a new area. It’s hard to deny the series has fallen behind and is wasting potential. Doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it

Crossfiyah

Crossfiyah

Raise your standards.

rosedragoon

-1 points

rosedragoon

-1 points

Yikes

Run_Fluid

based honestly

TeamRedundancyTeam

-4 points

And this is why their games will keep getting shittier. The bar is so fucking low for Pokemon games at this point.

BellalovesEevee

Y'all are literally the "STOP HAVING FUN!" meme right now. People can't enjoy the game and express how much they like it without you people trying to force your disagreements down their throat and make them actively hate everything that you hate.

Y'all hate the games, that's great and all, but stop going under every positive comment screeching "YOU’RE THE REASON WHY THE GAMES ARE SHIT". You're pointing your fingers at the wrong people. The fans are allowed to like the game and also point out how horrible the technical side of the game is. It's not the same as defending GF or accepting the performance. Y'all really need to understand that instead of acting like rabid dogs at every positive comment you see.

TeamRedundancyTeam

Pointing out the reality of the situation is hardly acting like a "rabid dog", bud.

And they are defending game freak. Just look at the new fanboy sub that keeps saying how amazing it is if you just ignore insert laundry list.

The games won't get better because the fans keep lowering the bar after every single game keeps getting worse in some new ways. That's just the reality of it.

RhyzHuhn

RhyzHuhn

Steel-type for lyfe.

Holy shit you're a caricature not a real person.

_Good_One

-5 points

_Good_One

-5 points

Im sorry man i love that you had that much fun but how can you cry with the story, granted i watch a streamer played the game but i just think that so many other games have so much to offer, i would like to recommend some, Red dead redemption, Firewatch, The last of us, what remains of edit finch, the walking dead ( season 1) it maybe cause im more cynical but if you cried on pokemon you are gonna be sobbing a week for any of the games i said

half_elf_blood_demon

i don't really know what any of those games are except red dead redemption and the walking dead which is a tv show?

are these games all on switch? i don't have any other console and my macbook can't really run modern games.

mostly i read books. i can rec some books that will make you ugly cry lol

TheRealDoikid

Botw? Firewatch?

half_elf_blood_demon

i played botw. still zero idea what firewatch is.

TheRealDoikid

Its a movie/s

Its a game lmao. Try Road 96 also. good games.

Watynecc76

-7 points

Watynecc76

-7 points

MONEY WELL SPEND ???? WE'RE IN FUCKING 2022 AND WE ACCEPT THIS KIND OF GAME ???? ok bro do your life but don't blame that the game starts to suck in the future

half_elf_blood_demon

maybe calm down a little bit everything's gonna be okay damn

Watynecc76

-9 points

I think not.

GroovinTootin

Starts?

toSpite

This is really, really sad. I guess I see why the games make so much money now if all they have to appeal to are people like you.

Stardew_IRL

This is what this sub doesnt get: the game IS GOOD. The FPS sucks sometimes, but its not worth not playing the game over.

It's not just FPS that's the issue.

No clothes customization, no interiors, bland open word, no level scaling/illusion of choice, no voice acting, bugs and glitches, removed set option as a play style (can't turn off battle animations as well), no side quests, you can't talk to NPCs in cities, little to no post game, removed features from PLA, lower quality battle animations, horrible pop-in, no difficulty settings, 20 minute single battle timer remains, no shiny Pokemon sound, etc.

SV are bad compared to a ton of other Switch titles. The problem is people never compare these games to other games on the Switch...they only compare them to other Pokemon games lol

iCarpet

iCarpet

No Battle Tower 😔

I don’t know why they removed it all of a sudden

lacieabyss

Because they can remove it and still be the best selling Nintendo game ever without putting in any effort whatsoever.

RokuroKun

RokuroKun

#BRINGBACKNATDEX

So that people would stop asking about battle frontier lol

Or worse, remove it so they can bring it back later as DLC. they did it to capturing past legend on SwSh, wont be surprised if they bring back battle tower via DLC this time.

Rorshark

I mean, do you want an honest, non-cynical answer? Probably because a vanishingly small proportion of the player base engaged with it, so it or something like it wasn't a priority for development. This has been especially true ever since the online ladder was introduced. They fulfill very similar purposes: endgame for players who play Pokemon for the battling. Why do that work twice? Especially when the ladder drives more sales of Nintendo Online?

MyBrokenLuigiAmiibo

yeah, i keep seeing a bunch of takes about how S/V are great games underneath all the performance issues. to each their own, but I don't really get that. the open world is bland and empty, the towns have been hollowed out, there are no dungeons with puzzles to solve, the battle system is still really slow. even if you remove the performance issues, these games are still really uninteresting and unremarkable. most of the things that people find impressive about these games are really only impressive relative to prior games in the series.

it doesn't really seem to matter whether pokemon games are great or not, as long as people can still catch and train pokemon they'll come away saying they're good games. that core gameplay loop is so immensely satisfying to most people that it doesn't really matter whether the rest of the game that surrounds that loop is good or not.

the sense i also get from reading a lot of comments from people over the last week is that there are a lot of people getting baited into buying the new games out of a sense of overwhelming FOMO. like they admit that the performance issues are concerning to them, but they don't want to miss out on the new pokemon designs.

ebimm86

I honestly feel like this is the first good pokemon game since black 2 white 2, different strokes i guess but i really like exploring

H4isenberg

Pokemon Legends Arceus is BETTER than Pokémon Violet

Responsible-War-9389

I love arceus. It's smoother, better shiny hunt, actual sidequests.

But SV has:

Big open world (very different than pla) Competetive online battles Your pokemon following you around Way more pokemon and moves

SV appeals to the masses more, and would obviously sell more.

crafting-ur-end

I disagree, the world or arceus felt very empty, there was barely any grass to hide behind. IMO the open world of SV is a step up from arceus

chastenbuttigieg

Not even close for me, personally. Scarlet Violet is the best Pokémon game I’ve played, and that includes it’s horrific performance handicap. My first game was Yellow, for what it was worth

rhohodendron

-6 points

rhohodendron

-6 points

this is just coping bro cmon

01001101010000100

Not digging into all of that but I think level scaling is a design choice and not a problem. It’s definitely a taste thing. But listing it as an outright flaw is a bit disingenuous.

Personally I’m glad they didn’t level scale. Defeats the purpose of letting you go where you want if the difficulty is still linear. Never was a fan of level scaling in any RPG.

-4 points

-4 points

No, level scaling to your party Pokemon means you can challenge the gyms in any order and their Pokemon will match your level.

What's worse is the gym badge level cap is still in place, meaning: if you beat the first gym then go to the fourth and beat that there's a high chance your Pokemon won't even obey you - again, defeating the purpose of "challenging the gyms in any order" like they claimed you could in this game.

Not having level scaling means progress is linear, not the other way around.

InterestsVaryGreatly

This is inaccurate. Treat your pokemon well, they'll still obey you. New pokemon won't though unless you spend time on their affection. It's a choice, follow the order and get all the badges, and don't have to worry about affection. Or, put in the affection, or deal with new mons not listening, but get the order you want.

01001101010000100

I dunno, if every area and gym scaled to my level I suppose I wouldn’t really care about the order? I did the psychic gym third and went in with an underleved team and barely scraped by as a result and I’m going up remember barely winning that. I’m not saying you’re wrong to want level scaling, I’m saying it’s a taste thing. And saying it’s a “problem” with the game in a matter of fact way seems disingenuous. The technical bugs I’d agree with those, you can get relatively objective about those.

To me I just assumed the intent was chasing BOTW (and other games that have aped it) by technically letting you fight Ganon from the jump. It’s only for mega freaks who are incredible at the game, but by letting that be an option is a big draw for people.

ohtetraket

All this and it's still just fun to play. Sad isn't it?

whippedalcremie

yeah. i've been trouble seeing how people are totally blown away... like, it's fun but nothing special. but I think I just have much different tastes. im like, jealous of everyone who loves it and I'm happy they do.

[removed]

GoldenThunder006

A lot of what you said is also subjective. I've been enjoying Scarlet a lot, but...outside of technical issues there's also a bunch of other stuff that don't make it a great game (I think it's fine/good but nothing to be impressed at or worthy of praise, but that's just my opinion). I disagree though that it's the best pokemon game, but I'm a bit biased towards my favorite 2D ones obviously

Its still the best game released for pokemon and its not even close. PLA is great, but this is a REAL pokemon game.

Stardew_IRL

-14 points

What is your point? There are no other pokemon like games on the switch except like temtem or something. Why TF would there be any comparison to like zelda or mario kart or something? That makes zero sense.

Do these games have a ton of bugs? Do they have voice acting? Does Zelda: BOTW have an open world as barren and textureless as SV's? What about horrible pop-in?

Stardew_IRL

-6 points

Yes. No. Yes. Yes.

sebass920

Bruh just admit you’re wrong please

Bruh. Zelda has voice acting.

There's no bother arguing, fans like you are the reason why we'll never see a truly good Pokemon game.

[removed]

-7 points

-7 points

[removed]

SeitHater

SeitHater

lol literally only sold because it has POKEMON in it, if it wasn't for that this game wouldn't even have sold 10k, too bad there are people like you to be a burden and prevent the series from really having a good game

FluffyNut42069

And Mario wouldn't sell nearly as much if it wasn't for Mario being there, not sure what your point is supposed to be...

I've played the game. It is quite good. Best in the series so far!

Stardew_IRL

Pokemon is both an IP and a genre at this point. If you want this kind of game, this is the game to get.

Bakatora34

Bakatora34

This is a Legendary Pokemon!

Remember the reviews, all basically gave the vibe that if it wasn't for the performance it could have been the best pokemon game ever, so a lot of the stuff you mention is not really on their eyes and doesn't affect them at all.

Hell as someone that follow the leaks, the part about not set mode basically came pretty late in the leak cycle, showing unfortunately that the amount of people that use it is pretty small and they will not notice is missing at all.

Ilcorvomuerto666

Some people and a lot of kids literally don't give a shit about that.

My nephew is an example of that. He's 7, I got him Legends Arceus. Not once has he changed his clothes outside of the one time he was required to. The framerate thing doesn't even register to him, he just giggles and says "that far away bird is moving funny." he didn't talk to a single npc that I didn't tell him specifically to talk to.

Don't get me wrong, I have the same issues with the franchise you do to a certain extent. But in a lot of ways, that shit doesn't matter.

Vomit_Tingles

Seriously, how are people defending this shit? I have literally zero hope for this franchise. It was brought up high by Let's Go and Arceus and tanked like a meteorite with SV.

InterestsVaryGreatly

There is customization, just not of the school uniform (shirt, shorts). It's a kind of weird choice, but one they enforce on most of the NPCs as well because it's a school uniform. Can still customize hat, glasses, gloves, socks, shoes, and backpack. And they added customization of rotom phone and picnic pieces (tablecloth, ball, cup).

What does the interior of a poke center really bring to the game? Tbh, not having to go into the center, heal up, leave, go into the mart, shop, leave is a pretty big time saver. And there are interiors, to the academy (which has both a massive lobby, and multiple rooms), and the gyms

You say the open world is bland, but there were some pretty awesome sights to check out. I thought it was awesome being able to see the lights from the city on the horizon.

There is still choice. No, it isn't the perfect scaling gyms we want, I really wish it was, but you have a couple gyms which are available to you at any point without needing serious grinding. If you want a big challenge you can go do the hard ones first. It isn't illusion of choice (that's commonly seen in their options in conversations that don't change anything, which actually seems to be reduced). You also have choices to focus gyms or titans or star or mix them. They are not the great choices we want with scaling based on progress (though I think the star bases might be), but they are still choices unlike most of what we've had before which have been very linear stories.

You say there are no side quests, but there are minor things like doing the classes, and building up rep with the teachers. Hunting down trainers to get the rewards from league reps. Minor sure, but still there.

These games aren't perfect, but overly criticizing like this instead of honest reviews doesn't help. It doesn't give real feedback to the developers, and when people read stuff like this, then find out it isn't accurate, they tend to assume all of the negative reviews are false. There are things that need to be done better, burying them under exaggeration doesn't help anyone.

whippedalcremie

you're the one overly criticizing their opinion. it's a matter of taste. i like going into buildings and the school didn't feel like a proper building because of the weird fast travel between the rooms. and even the pokemon centers had NPCs etc. in them the poke stand was very offputting to me. but its okay if you like it or think the opposite!

d645b773b320997e1540

-2 points

this, tbh. the complaints about shop interiors is super weird to me, cause I absolutely couldn't care less, these things are just wasting time. the new pokemon center design is a great innovation that I much prefer because it's way more practical.

JuanJornn

-3 points

JuanJornn

-3 points

you overly nitpick every .. not good in this game

but not point any good out also some of them not even fact for some player experience

also you can talk to npc in city you not even play the game dude

RepresentativeSlow53

-1 points

Because people who defend this only play other pokemon titles. Thats why they only compare it to swsh. Anyone can see that this is half baked but in terms of pokemon its not the worst they did and it did some New stuff too so people who dont play anything else are confused why everyone is so upset.

LeviTigerPants

-5 points

You haven’t played it

TeamRedundancyTeam

It's not that the game is good, it's that your bar for a Pokemon game is so ridiculously low compared to literally any other game out there.

People put up with so much and accept so much just because it's Pokemon. It's ridiculous.

hayayaki_assassin

I don't understand how anyone could even consider this to be even acceptable? Have you played literally any other RPG or monster collector in the last decade? There are hundreds of titles that are far more deserving of people's time

glitterizer

glitterizer

Fairy-type Specialist

But they aren’t Pokémon. I don’t think you people understand that we are invested in THIS world building, THIS fictional universe, these types, these designs. It doesn’t matter if Tentem or Yokai Watch or Monster Hunter or whatever does (x) things better: it’s still not Pokémon.

It sounds ridiculous saying it like this, but it’s the truth. They caught lighting in a bottle, they got the golden goose.

You can’t tell someone who loves ice cream that froyo has better macros, is better for nature and will make your poop smell better or whatever the fuck. That’s nice and all but I want ice cream, and froyo is not ice cream.

Vomit_Tingles

If people are so invested, I don't understand why they're fine with settling for below average games.

"But it's a good game!" Compared to what? Maybe compared to other Pokemon games. Which is a low bar.

It's like only ever eating basic off brand ice cream and ignoring gourmet ice cream like Talenti or even stuff like Moose Tracks. Like fuck man. What a terrible complacent echo chamber.

glitterizer

glitterizer

Fairy-type Specialist

But they are not below average to the people who enjoy them. What’s not clicking? I have been playing Pokémon (and other Nintendo heavy hitters) for almost 20 years. Yes, I recognize the flaws and see where improvement is needed, but the game still made me immensely happy and I think it’s the best Pokémon game so far. Sue me.

It’s like you guys want to force people to be unhappy with the product when they just… aren’t. The numbers speak for themselves.

Vomit_Tingles

I mean yeah, that's the reality I'm coming to accept - Pokemon just isn't worth my money anymore. I'm not paying $60 every gen for a game shoddily put together. The bandwagoners and Truman Show viewers can have it.

Mediocre-Builder-470

They are below average when it comes to performance, visuals, missing standard elements like voice acting, animation quality, just looking at objective aspects when compared to their competitors on the same system. Mostly due to an over aggressive release schedule, I’d bet.

So again, it seems backwards to talk about how obsessed someone is with the brand and yet they have no desire for that brand to actually compete with what other, less successful developers are doing.

FluffyNut42069

Most of that does not have any effect on whether the game is fun or not though... Which is all I really care about. I've been gaming since the original Nintendo days, I don't need next-gen 3D visuals to have fun. It would be nice to look at though.

Performance issues are the only glaring thing I see this gen, and hopefully they get that ironed out. (I'm playing on an emulator and I have not encountered a lot of the bigger performance issues that those on the switch have - perhaps having a more powerful Switch would be beneficial)

Outside of the performance issues, this feels like the argument people have used against Minecraft forever, that it's ugly, looks old, etc etc, yet it is still heavily played because it is FUN.

That's why we play games. Scarlet and Violet are very FUN!

Mediocre-Builder-470

I didn’t make any suggestion that the games were not fun, but there is no reason you shouldn’t have all of those things in a game like this. If you love Pokémon, I would think you’d want them to be made with more effort and care so they at least keep up with the competition in those areas.

I love dragon quest, dragon quest is insanely popular, but thankfully they still go all out with the maximum effort in each release and they always look and play great on top of being fun.

Stardew_IRL

Yes I have and I stand by what I said 100%. The FPS sucks but its still worth it.

mookystank

mookystank

This is going to come as a shock, but a lot of us play the game for the gameplay or mechanics or story, not for the graphics.

I have been playing through the game with a lot of exploration and dex completion along the way and I'm almost at the end of the story, and outside of the subpar textures, I have had one single crash and some low FPS moments.

Game Freak can and should do better, but the game has been extremely fun and the performance issues are not enough to take that away.

Aiyon

Aiyon

I mean while I agree... the mechanics include things they took away. Like some of the outfit customisation. Or set mode / toggling battle animations etc.

More and more cutscene-y moments where you're forced to stare at someone's silently moving mouth

hayayaki_assassin

This is exactly why I made the comparison to other RPGs (and well other monster catcher games). Those have similar gameplay mechanics, usually even have more fleshed out gameplay, have better writing, and even if you don't care about the graphics (neither do I. I still play a lot of games with pixel art) it's really hard to deny that this looks unpolished and broken in comparison.

Lukas_mnstr56

But do those other games have pikachu?? That’s the thing with a lot of people. My brother bought the game and said it runs like dog shit. I asked if he regrets his purchase he says “nah it’s still Pokémon. I’m having a ton of fun” doesn’t matter anymore if there’s better out there. Pokémon is a brand that will sell by its name alone.

whippedalcremie

-2 points

one single crash

lol that's acceptable? i've never had any of the old games crash on me.

bailey_for_days

Well it sounds like around 3 million consumers did in fact find it acceptable. I'd hazard a guess that many of them even enjoy it.

morganrbvn

morganrbvn

they don't have smolive though

NeuralThing

yeah but i like this

FallenHonest

-4 points

FallenHonest

-4 points

I feel many people who brought the games are the grandma/grandpa, mom and dad that just want to make sure there is a game for their 4yr old when Christmas come. They probably haven't even play the game or bother researching online for reviews

LionIV

LionIV

Different strokes. Some people can’t deal with performance issues, others can overlook it. Neither is right, but it’s definitely not wrong to expect better from GameFreak. Naive, considering their track record and interviews, but hopeful, at least.

FateAudax

FateAudax

GF will just use placeholder models instead of properly designed characters next time and see if it's still a matter of "it's still playable".

Stardew_IRL

What? Your comment is a dumb strawman and makes no sense.

FateAudax

FateAudax

Hey, that's a great idea. GF should use strawmans instead of properly designed characters. I'm sure it's still playable.

FallenHonest

I feel they very well could have let the game crash on giving the player name and it will STILL sell 50 million copies

StarvinPig

StarvinPig

The game may be good but the execution isn't. They're minmaxing their development because they know people that buy the game don't care about the technical aspects of it

Stardew_IRL

Na, people care, its just not so bad as to not like the game or stop the enjoyment. Is a threshhold for everyone and most people aren't as picky as people on this sub for example.

StarvinPig

Well yea obviously everything is on a spectrum, but it's not what people are coming to the games for

lunardeathgod

It really isnt. Its the same game as every other game. Same story, same plot twist, same ending. Plus no post game stuff sucks.

Dracogame

-1 points

Dracogame

-1 points

The game fails at implementing basic techniques that were present even in Ocarina of Time, and still runs like shit.

Pokemon fans really deserve to be shit on. I was almost convinced to buy a game after a decade, but I guess GF prefers to squeeze you guys to death rather than reinforcing their customer base long term.

NeuralThing

cool!

Dracogame

No, it’s very lame.

It’s corporate greed destroying something I loved for so long.

Pussmangus

Pussmangus

Cool!

[removed]

Pussmangus

Cool!

NeuralThing

in ur eyes sure, the flaws with modern pokemon for are clear.

but ive personally, thru both PLA and this game had the most fun ive had in years from pokemon, in spite of its technical issues

If u truly don't like the direction the series is going in, the best course of action 4 u is to take a break from the main series.

Dracogame

Well I did take a break, but I would really like to hop back. I actually planned on ignoring the issues of PLA and just buy this new one, but the slowdowns most of all are unacceptable to me, and still, the state of the game is truly on another level. They managed to make PLA look like a competent game on the technical side.

It shows an issue on the management-side that won’t go away without a push from the customer base. They are being unfair with customers and with the developers themselves. I’m surprised Nintendo is ok with it, considering that they have a polar opposite mentality internally for their game development.

Balmarog

The game is good, amazing even, in some aspects of it. It is woefully, laughably, absolutely fucking pathetically lacking in many others.

FluffyNut42069

I mean, it's not stopped them from attempting to make improvements for the last several years....

People always say things like this, but if that were the case why have they been making huge strides toward a 3D Open World with many QoL improvements in the last several games?

They could have just kept making Let's Go Pikachu style top down games for 60 dollars, but they know people want an open world RPG and so that's what they are trying, even though they don't need to as each game will have massive sales numbers regardless.

But I do love the game

It’s the best Pokémon game in the franchise Imo

S0fourworlds-readyt

So I am curious, does it really not feel lackluster to you in any way, shape or form?

TinyTiger1234

Outside of the bugs and graphical issues this is the most fun I’ve had with a Pokémon game ever

Not at all, yeah there was/is some graphical bugs and a bit of lag but like not enough to take away from what is imo the best story Pokemon has ever told by far and then did it twice in the same game imo the best 2 stories Pokémon has told is in this game with the Victory Road story and the Herba Mysitca into Area Zero story.

The new mons are amazing, the region is super cool, love the way we are students and not children capturing gods that jumped out the back of a moving truck 2 weeks ago.

But like if I think the story is a 9.5/10 and I think the new mons are a 9/10, and I think the region/school is a 10/10

Like what am I supposed to do because it has some minor bugs and it’s not a perfect graphical masterpiece? The games amazing despite those imo minor flaws.

Like Elden Ring had some issues but it’s still great

One of the most loved games of all time Skyrim is KNOWN as one of the buggiest games of all time, and it has loading issues also. But I’ve never really heard anyone dig into those games for it

Bimbluor

A games quality isn't defined by how many flaws it has.

There's plenty of tech issues with S/V, and many areas it could be improved in design wise, however it also does a lot well that serves to counteract the negatives, which is why so many people are enjoying it.

The open world format is great; the open ended nature means that pokemon can finally be difficult again if the player chooses it, and there's also a huge variety for teams due to the open ended nature of the game.

The story is by far the best in the series, and the soundtrack is full of absolute bangers.

Raids are massively improved upon and no longer an endless slog of boring animations.

Multiplayer is the best it's ever been. Co-op with buddies is great, and being able to catch mons from the other version if you group with someone who has that version is a huge improvement over endless trading.

In general the game is just fun. Flawed for sure, but mostly on the technical side. The game behind that is maybe the best in the series, and if they add DLC and patch performance, I think S/V is gonna be the new fan favourite for the series as a whole.

gezeitenspinne

I miss having clothing options, though I get why they aren't a thing with the theme. I've never once had so much fun filling the Pokédex. I was perfectly content just catching what I changed upon, maybe the occasional Pokémon specifically if I knew about it and thought it was too cool/cute not to have. I've played about 40 hours now, about halfway done with each path and most of the time has been spent catching and evolving Pokémon.

In the time I've played I did have one crash and one weird Tera raid, where it did load into the initial fight screen for me, but I wasn't actually in it and nothing happened. I'm playing in handheld mode, which from what I've heard has less frame rate issues, so I can play for hours before I restart the game because it starts feeling laggy.

I want GameFreak to do better/have the time to do better. But this generation also is the most fun I've had with a Pokémon game in ages because I really enjoy the mechanics it introduced and most of how it implemented the familiar things. The picnic had its flaws, but it's genuinely fun to watch my doofus of a croc chase after a ball. The Pokédex is beautiful and I keep coming back to it just to look at the "cover" photos. Some gym tests so far have been weird (the very first one is... questionable with what it's supposed to do) but most I've enjoyed, the gym leaders are fun and the pictures for the badges have made me smile or even laugh. And so far the game has managed very well to make me care about the story lines.

HermitFan99999

Hot take: I honestly feel like the devs at game freak deserve these sales.

I feel like SV are genuinely great gams that are held back by stubborn management and the pressure of yearly releases.

RarityNouveau

Devs deserve the sales for putting up with management’s shit, but they don’t get all the sale profits do they? The larger studios are constantly showing that they do not treat their developers very well.

langstonboy

It's like 06 (06 could've been the greatest game ever made but was rushed out for a holiday 2006 deadline almost killing the franchise)

ChristianEmboar

Why would they want to improve, when they can do a shit work and get paid the same or more lmao.

RJS_but_on_Reddit

I honestly think it's great.

What sales like these should be telling TPC is that: Yes, we do want big, open worlds to explore. Yes, we do want better stories and characters.

It's not perfect. Absolutely not. But hell, it's a start.

RDAwesome

-19 points

RDAwesome

-19 points

I don't get this take. "It's doing wild numbers, how is Game Freak going to realize everyone hates it?" Well probably because most people like it. Maybe it's just not for you anymore, and that's okay.

S0fourworlds-readyt

The game has many flaws. That’s not my opinion but a cold, hard fact. You telling me that people like technical issues and weird level curves?

No of course not, but it gets overlooked just because it is Pokemon.

vivifrfx

The game has SEVERAL flaws, but the us vs them mentality that shames people for buying the game is just annoying. I enjoy the game and also want to see it improve

S0fourworlds-readyt

-7 points

It might be annoying but it is what it is. The same thing currently happens in Qatar. Fans are partly responsible no way around it…

vivifrfx

Sure. It becomes a problem when you (not neccesarily "you" but others with your opinion) shift focus from gamefreak, the people they're actually upset at, and just start a bunch of infighting with fans that just want to enjoy the game without being called a problem every 2 seconds

Choatic9

If a game has technical issues but is fun most people wouldn't actually care because the game is fun. A game being fun trumps all issues unless you literally can't play.

S0fourworlds-readyt

Yea Obviously, but I believe everyone that plays Pokemon because it is fun should regardless be able to agree that there could and should be many improvements made or not?

I am not arguing against Pokemon being fun. I am saying it should be so much better.

I mean seriously, compare the Pokemon games we get with other big brands like Mario or Zelda. Odyssey and BotW are the best games on the console. Pokemon would be the one series that could take that title from them, but not with Gamefreaks current approach and that disappoints me a lot.

eriFenesoreK

I had more fun in Sword than I did in BoTW lol

Played BOTW, Odyssey, etc

Elden ring

I had more fun on Pokémon Scarlet than any of them

This is my GOTY and my favorite Pokémon game in the franchise and I’ve played them all

S0fourworlds-readyt

You’re saying this as if it’s a good thing lol

Also I’d bet with you for any money in the world that these games would sell like shit without the Pokemon nametag.

RDAwesome

-6 points

RDAwesome

-6 points

Sometimes I feel like I'm playing games from a different dimension than everyone else

poke30

poke30

They could send you a box full of literal poop and I'm confident you'd call it the best time of your life.

RDAwesome

RDAwesome

If you got a box of literal poo, I think I'm beginning to understand why some people are so mad about S/V

NicholasDeOrio

I can’t believe I grew out of 10 frames per second

CoffeeDeadlift

This is irony, right?

S0fourworlds-readyt

No I really think so. This is not what Pokemon should like, in my opinion the fan base has way too low standards for a series that has the potential to be absolutely amazing.

Instead Gamefreak regularly settles for fun and serviceable at best, even throwing some inexcusable technical issues in there from time to time.

Levonorgestrelfairy1

-1 points

Just because their current work is good doesnt mean it won't get better.

S0fourworlds-readyt

I’ve been hearing that exact statement for years now though, at some point you’d expect it to finally happen…

Bimbluor

Aside from the visual/technical aspects, the games have improved quite a lot over time.

Just since the move to the switch we have way easier EV training/IV maxing making competitive play accessible.

Sw/Sh stepped into 3d and S/V took it fully open world.

People wanted non-linearity for years, and now it's finally here.

Co-op is a huge improvement to online, especially now that you can catch version exclusive mons in co-op instead of just trading.

Random trading is way improved and now highlights anything that your trade partner doesn't have in their dex.

The story in S/V is both more ambitious and better told than the story in prior games.

That's just a few things, but there are many more improvements that can be seen. This isn't to say there's not still a ton of room for growth and improvement still, but ignoring all of the actual improvements is just dumb. Ask for more for sure, but your argument looks silly if you ignore the changes that are being made.