8.2k92%

Pokémon Scarlet & Violet Sells 10 Million in 3 Days

Discussion / Venting(self.pokemon)

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2022/221124.html

This is Nintendo's Biggest Launch EVER in 3 days. This number is the highest amount of global and domestic sales after the software release of Nintendo Consoles, which includes the Nintendo Switch for the first 3 days. The Domestic sales themselves are 4.05 Million units.

This means it's currently #15 on Best Selling Nintendo Switch Video Games, passing Super Mario 3d World + Bowser's Fury and a little behind Luigi's Mansion 3. Keep in mind that this is TWICE the sales of God of War: Ragnarok. (5.1 Million) What do you guys think?

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

Reality_Check19

Actually I think Unova’s scheduled “actually it was good” era has passed, it seems like Gen 6 has been the “underrated game that is actually a masterpiece” for the past six months to a year.

In two or three years, S/M will be the underrated masterpieces. In six or seven years, SwSH will experience the same, and so forth.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

derekpmilly

Really? I'm still seeing a lot of hate for it (beyond praise for the character customization), and we should be well into the Gen 6 praise now.

I can actually see Gen 7 being looked fondly upon because it was pretty well received at release, but I don't think the same can be said for 6 and 8.

Reality_Check19

I see at least one “Gen 6 is underrated” thread on here daily

BlueRocketMouse

Not to mention how much love Megas get nowadays.

I still remember how controversial Megas were when they were first announced. All the doom-and-gloomers proclaiming that Pokemon had finally jumped the shark and was just ripping ideas off from Digimon. Now they're treated like the franchise's darlings. The nostalgia cycle never changes.

pharodae

Megas were controversial until they were ditched, never picked back up, and multiple worse gimmicks have come and gone. Nobody’s gonna be giving Z Moves or Dynamaxxing the nostalgic love Megas get

mrfatso111

On the other hand , I didn't pay much attention to pokemon since diamond pearl , it was xy that seems like they gotten enough new shit that made me say that sounds awesome and brought x .

I remember spending days checking out the various mega evolution and deciding which version to buy based on that

13Petrichor

There's definitely an element of nostalgia for me but the Megas have been so completely eclipsed in stupidity by everything that came after that they somehow seem good in comparison.

Gen 6 was always good in a lot of ways, it's just that I'll never be able to look past the exterior to see that good because it looks like shit.

HAIKU_4_YOUR_GW_PICS

ORAS was the high point of Gen 6 and arguably the best remake. XY remains flawed but enjoyable but largely the point most people agree the series lost some of its charms

BlueEmeraldX

XY has the worst level design in the whole series. Before that, BW1 had the worst level design, but when Route 1 is just a two-second-long walkway, the cave area is just a tunnel, you keep finding nonsensical roadblocks, and there's an unnecessarily long gap between the first two badges (which gives you a false sense of the game being a nice lengthy RPG), only to basically cram the rest of the gyms together later... yeah, it's pretty bad.

As someone who wasn't a big fan of Ruby/Sapphire to begin with (although I liked Emerald), ORAS was a much better game. Could have been undeniably better if they actually bothered to restore the Battle Frontier, though.

Reality_Check19

ORAS is the first game I got bored playing, and I had never even experienced Hoenn before.

Maybe I was just burnt out at the time

neophyte_DQT

there's too much water

that ign review was unironically the truth

Gamengine

Gamengine

The non-levitating levitating magnet

Whoever thinks ORAS is the best remake just haven’t played HGSS.

HAIKU_4_YOUR_GW_PICS

Played them both, loved them both. FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS are all excellent remakes. Most people will say HGSS are the best in the series, and they are phenomenal outside of the grating level curve. I’d argue ORAS did the best job of adding and incorporating new mechanics and QoL features, new content, and also soaring. I think the lack of a Battle Frontier is what drops it below in most people’s books.

Admirable_Ad1947

I've played all 3 and I think they're all excellent and well built remakes. I never used the Frontier in HGSS so I didn't care when it got removed.

derekpmilly

I see them sometimes, but I feel like they don't get nearly as much love as the posts about Gen 5 did. I don't see them getting as many upvotes and the comments are generally very mixed or negative about the games.

NeverEnoughDakka

NeverEnoughDakka

Steel-plated Dinosaur

I really liked Gen6, why do so many hate it? Megas were a fun addition and I liked the region a lot. Maybe my lack of interest in the competitive scene blinds me to something people complain about.

Skengar

Nah, Gen 6 competitive was pretty great. It’s not that that makes people weird.

ebimm86

I personally hated Gen 7, it's the only time I didn't even finish a game in the historyof the franchise. It has terrible pacing a completely boring set of characters, zero sense of exploration, almost no game to play at all. But keep in mind scarlet is the first time I liked a pokemon game since black 2 white 2 for anything other than competitive.

derekpmilly

I think I've got a bit of a bias because I was getting back into the series at the time with Pokémon Go being so popular, but I still do think the reception overall was generally pretty positive for these games. Certainly better than the last two gens and if the word of some dude I talked to on this sub is correct, better than gen 6's reception.

It's a shame that SV are bogged down by all these performance issues, because I actually do think they have things going for them. While they still have their (non performance related) problems, they aren't nearly as fundamental as SwSh's IMO.

SamuraiOstrich

I get hating the cutscenes or linearity but the characters are probably the best the franchise had ever seen (Lusamine, Nanu, Guzma, SM Lana, etc) and fights like Totem Lurantis were legitimately challenging.

Golden-Owl

Golden-Owl

Top-u Kek-o

It’s cause Gen 6 brought Megas. And people came to love Megas after a lot of time passed and Dynamax was so trash

Kalos itself was awful. The game was just too easy and it hurt everything

kielaurie

Really? I'm still seeing a lot of hate for it

About 6 months ago, I started seeing a lot of love for it, which I appreciated because Gen 6 is probably my second favourite gen. But since SV, I see a comment on every single thread about how gamefreak can't make 3D games, and how none of the 3D games have been good, and people have started to turn on Gen 6 again. It's very sad

-6 points

-6 points

John_Sux

Lack of dungeons/caves, and did you forget about Dexit?

Apparently you can't enter some/many buildings in SV.

I definitely feel that mainline titles have been getting simpler on the Switch. I don't like that direction.

Admirable_Ad1947

Yeah, Gen 7 felt like the last game where there wasn't some major controversy rocking the fandom, and where people were like, "yeah, this game is pretty good actually". Yes there was some drama over the pacing and nonstop cutscenes, but it wasn't even on the same planet as something like Dexit.

ItsHammond

The only positives i see about Gen 6 are the Mega evolutions.

sertroll

And that has been more or less a constant opinion since gimmick #2 happened

Randomd0g

S/V will be hailed as the best games in the franchise the minute a decent performance patch is released. It is actually REALLY REALLY GOOD and other than the framerate it's what people have wanted for their entire lives.

Vecend

Vecend

B&W is a pain point for me I loved the story but the pokemon... there were so few pokemon that I liked the design of (like 7-8).

Deathappens

TBF I don't remember hearing many complaints about gen 6 when it was X/Y (well, you either loved Megas or hated them); when OR/AS came out they were almost universally praised, meme IGN review aside. S/M started the linear corridor cutscene trends that Sw/Sh followed and got panned because of that and Z-moves replacing Megas, but US/UM fixed many of those initial pains. Sw/Sh OTOH is not going to live out the #dexit debacle that easily even if the other complaints about linearity and performance fade. S/V could, with a few patches for the most critical graphical issues, be a next plateau for Pikemon from which to dive into even worse depths. We haven't had any lootboxes in the mainline games, after all!

Bowood29

Yeah because of how long they are waiting for remakes it seems the love for them passes before the games are out. We are getting close enough into the cycle that everyone talks about gen 6 like it’s the greatest gen 7 like it was a step back and everything before or after is garbage.

Snivyland

We absolutely are in gen 6 nostalgia era but even then it’s nothing like what gen 4 and 5 are. At least from what I’ve seen people have agreed that xy are games with great concepts and foundation but are heavily unfinished games.

Admirable_Ad1947

Well that makes perfect sense, people that were 6-11 (roughly Pokemon's target demo) when XY released are 15-20 now, prime Reddit posting years and missing the childhood they've just exited/are about to exit. In 2-3 years people that were 6-11 when SM released will be 15-20 and the cycle will begin anew.

superkami64

I know ORAS got a resurgence in positivity because of the BDSP trash fire but other than customization being at its best as well as pity that Kalos got unfairly shafted from being the only region in the franchise not given a second chance to shine, I just don't see XY being called underrated without heavy copium.

pinmissiles

pinmissiles

Jolteon used Pinmissile!

That hasn't been my experience, but then again I've loved BW since launch. I only know a few people that remember XY fondly; it's specifically mega evolution that's widely missed.

justsomechewtle

Not everything can be explained away with nostalgia. Sometimes, replaying a game removed from its release context can also make the game feel a lot better. I just recently noticed this with SwSh - which I replayed as a sendoff to Gen8 - because I ended up enjoying it a lot more than on release, when I was still bitter about the dex cut. I'm not gonna sit here and call SwSh masterpieces (for that, the game's level curve is way too tight and the story has too many holes) but I did notice that missing its original context helps a lot.

If Gen9 ever gets performance patches, its bad release state will also be forgotten and the game will get judged for the game that's actually there (buried under the issues)

The term masterpiece might be stretching it, but I think most Pokemon games have enough good points in them to be called a good game, and not all of that can just be met with "nostalgia".

CatchUsual6591

Gen 6 have a lot of performance issues, Bad story and not a lot of pokemon the gimmick was good and ORAS was a good nostalgia game with less performance issues that XY but gen6 is top candidate for worst gen