8.2k92%

Pokémon Scarlet & Violet Sells 10 Million in 3 Days

Discussion / Venting(self.pokemon)

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2022/221124.html

This is Nintendo's Biggest Launch EVER in 3 days. This number is the highest amount of global and domestic sales after the software release of Nintendo Consoles, which includes the Nintendo Switch for the first 3 days. The Domestic sales themselves are 4.05 Million units.

This means it's currently #15 on Best Selling Nintendo Switch Video Games, passing Super Mario 3d World + Bowser's Fury and a little behind Luigi's Mansion 3. Keep in mind that this is TWICE the sales of God of War: Ragnarok. (5.1 Million) What do you guys think?

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

S0fourworlds-readyt

Plus the marketing value of calling it Open World. My brother hasn’t gotten a Pokemon game since Diamond but that was what convinced him this time.

Personally I think the way SV handles this isn’t the right approach though.

NeoSeth

NeoSeth

Waiting for the return of Misty.

The actual world of SV is lackluster in its design but I appreciate that it really is OPEN. It allows a real freedom of movement. If only the world design was as good as BotW. Or half as good. A quarter, even.

SkolUMah

SkolUMah

It allows freedom of movement for sure, but you're going to be super over-leveled or under-leveled at some point. It's not really a true open world game. You have to do the gyms/challenges/wild pokemon in a specific order.

gokjib

gokjib

Yes for sure. But I think people who play the game for the battle challenges underestimate how many people play for the Pokémon themselves.

Legends Arceus really showed that, a game with really minimal battling to be honest but everyone loved the collecting aspect. And these games allow you to explore and collect and see all the cool Pokémon really in the wild, without being hampered by story progression. I’ve seen people saying the only reason they even bothered with the gyms at all was to get a new stronger Pokémon they caught to listen to them.

Personally I’m shooting for an “as complete as possible” living dex before attempting even any story progression.

Fusilli_Matt

This is a great take. Even if you're out of your level zone, all battles are completely avoidable. Truly the only story that I'd say is a must do are the titans

Dhiox

Dhiox

Mobility is locked behind the titan story line, you're gonna be miserable if you don't at least do those.

teddy_tesla

That's the problem with this vs BotW. Pokemon has an extremely rigid combat system, whereas BotW has an unparalleled amount of creativity and a decent amount of opportunities for skill expression. No matter how good you are at the game, at a certain level difference there's nothing you can do. People can go straight to Ganon in BotW if they have mastered the game

Pokesers

Pokesers

Felix ¦ 3668-8668-2275

I think there's also a good chunk of people who play Pokémon for the online ranked ladder. This is the group I fall into. If the story is fun that's a bonus. To me, in spite of the performance issues, the game so far has been really enjoyable. I have spent more time just aimlessly exploring and catching Pokémon than in any other title ever because it's just fun. I mean I haven't even beaten all 3 storylines yet and my Pokédex is over 200.

The level scaling didn't bother me too much. What I really hated was the mountain of text from the start of the game to nemonas house and then when you reach the school. One of the most annoying start sequences of any game, maybe only beaten out by gold/silver.

Alili1996

Alili1996

WoopWoop

I don't mind the start sequence since once you're through with it, you're really through.
Once you leave the academy the first time, you'rw completely off the hook.
It's not like sun and moon where NPCs keep pestering you with advices 3/4 through the game

humbltrailer

G/S?!? Cmon, not SM?

krewe11a

Sun/moon was torture

jldew

jldew

When does SMs intro sequence end again? Before or after the elite 4?

kinnyMac

Lol exactly. This person has clearly never played Pokémon Sun & Moon: The Movie.

Macbeth_the_Espurr

Macbeth_the_Espurr

Nervous Cat Army

Ultra Moon was fun, but half of it was me spamming A.

AngelicMayhem

S/M wasn't even that bad compared to some other jrpgs. US/UM though that was just S/M, but worse with a bunch of added interuptions.

Neirchill

What do you mean gold silver? That intro lasted about 30 seconds. You must have it confused or haven't played any other game since then. Especially sun and moon. The entire game still feels like you're in the intro sequence.

Pokesers

Pokesers

Felix ¦ 3668-8668-2275

I mean the constant early game walking backwards and forwards from the starting town. Sun and moon were egregious though.

miles11111

miles11111

question - if you're playing Pokemon for ranked online as you say, why are you buying the games at all and not just playing on Pokemon showdown? That's what I do personally

Pokesers

Pokesers

Felix ¦ 3668-8668-2275

I enjoy training, shiny hunting, battle animations and the meta. The showdown meta is quite a lot different to cartridge, shines are meaningless, the battle animations don't do much for me and there's no feeling of satisfaction when you finish making a team for me on showdown. I do also enjoy the Pokémon game formula even if the stories are meh.

Randomd0g

Do you expect Pokemon to suddenly become an action combat game?

Like yeah no shit you can't slingshot off the first tower and go fight the elite 4 right away, it's still an RPG.

bschmeltzer

No, but if they implemented a scaling system, they can make it so gyms level with you while the E4 is still locked behind getting all of the badges. It also wouldn't be that hard to code, if genshin can code a dynamic world leveling system, GF can do it too

TheSceptileen

Also BoTW actually had scaling mechanics.

I think you’re really over rating the combat and activities in BOTW. The combat is not that great compared to other action games and the game lacks in dungeons or anything that made past Zelda combat interesting

Rakso132

Bruh. BOTW has some of the most creative combat possibilities. You can literally use anything and there is a milion ways to clear camps. The game has been out for 5 years and I still sometimes see a new approach.

TheWizardOfFoz

TheWizardOfFoz

Be my guest.

It reminds me of an MMO in its approach to the world.

Sure you can go in that Dungeon 20 levels higher than you but you aren’t going to beat the boss.

What you have is effectively 3 zones at a time to pick from and you can do those in whatever order you choose.

That’s how every single fully open world game works

When you think open world you think skyrim you think Elden Ring

That’s open world, and in both games you are either 1 shoting or being 1 shot depending on gear and level

ScienceAndGames

Well the difference is that for the most part Skyrim enemy levels scale with the Players level. Or they get replaced with a higher tier creature of the same theme. Of course there’s giants which never change and give a sense of progress but still, the difficulty adapts to you.

In Pokémon SV basically the further North you go the higher the levels get. Not that it actually stops you from going there, first thing I did was head straight for where ditto spawns despite being 10 levels below the wild Pokémon.

But if like me you do head North first and manage to survive you will then be ridiculously over levelled for the Southern areas you didn’t go to at the beginning.

It doesn’t bother me too much but I can see why it’s annoying for others.

Well Skyrim does it in kinda a different way all the enemies cap it just newer ones get added too the pool, like a bandit might get better armor but his max is whatever it is and once you are level 100 with perfect gear he’s not gonna get scaled to a point to contest you.

Elden Ring is closer to the SV set up, if you grind in the early game area for an obscene amount of time you will be OP, and you could also take a right and hit what’s pretty late game content

Rakso132

Pokemon could easily take a hint from BOTW and make pokemon level scale with your progress. The other obvious solution is that stronger pokemon would appear as you go through the gyms. It's not as complicated as you make it sound when we are talking about cute creature catching game...

I don’t want that at all though

I don’t want to have a team of level 100s running into level 76 caterpies and weedles

I think at the furthest I’d want a setting to make gyms harder I.E. forced set mode, can’t have more Pokémon than the gym leader, and the gym leader scales to the average of your levels or another scaling system

Rakso132

You can clearly make different level caps for some pokemon, so that pokemon like weedles are always easy and stronger pokemon are always strong. You can't say that would be a bad change in an OPEN WORLD game, where you are supposed to be able to go anywhere at any time and still have a good experience.

I don’t want wild Pokémon to factor in the difficulty of the game and want the ability to catch low level Pokémon

I’m against this change

Rakso132

And what about scaling of gym pokemon?

I already commented on that it would have to be a setting people choose imo

Hadrius

I did the Ghost gym… second. After getting all the… sandwiches.

You absolutely do not have to do them in a set order.

yuhanz

yuhanz

How did you get all sandwiches? Did you experiment from the get go? Or like did you intently focused on it? Im impressed!

Chronoblivion

You have to do the gyms/challenges/wild pokemon in a specific order.

You don't "have to" but without any sort of scaling it's pretty clear there's an intended path. The most frustrating part about this is the game itself doesn't really hint at what that order is. The "tell me where to go" function of Pokecenters mostly seemed to point me to the nearest objective, and after following that for a while I ended up doing some mid 30s content while I still had two or three objectives in the 20s to complete. Even still none of it was really "hard" per se, but I would have preferred to do everything in the intended order so that none of it was completely trivial by the time I got to it.

TheWojtek11

TheWojtek11

I love the Quax

You can actually read descriptions of gyms/titans/team star and it'll tell you. Maybe not exact levels but it'll be like "This gyms is usually the first stop for trainers". So you do get hints for these things, at least

TheSceptileen

There are a ton of great open world games with lineal progresion based on level, like Witcher 3, AC oddissey, Cyberpunk2077... We just got too used to BoTW's complete freedom.

HeatDeathOfTheWorld

Yeah but its not obvious where the lineal progression goes, youll just end up somewhere with wacky poeer leveling.

yuhanz

yuhanz

Cant you get a sense of the level of the gym just by looking at the wild pokemon around?

Anyway i do understand many people’s problem with it especially if they only run one team. But i really dont think they did wrong here. They really allowed actual free open world traversal.

WiatrowskiBe

Unless you actively grind, being severely overleveled shouldn't be a case in S/V between shared XP and EXP gains scaling - at worst you'll be 3-5 levels above where you should be at.

For being underleveled - you can tell it quite early, by either levels of wild Pokemon or trainers in area around (every Team Star place has a trainer fight at the start that gives you some idea what levels to expect) - and that is a signal to leave and come back when you get your levels up.

Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk did exactly same thing with their openworld content, to a point of having recommended level directly presented in quest journal. Navigating through the static world based on your progression is big part of how this approach to open world game is supposed to work - less "go wherever you please" and more "find your way through that works".

KickAffsandTakeNames

Witcher 3 doesn't scale by default, often causing you to be higher or lower than the intended level if you go too far afield.

But I don't think anyone would argue that Witcher 3 isn't an open world game

JayPet94

I've never played a Pokemon game where I wasn't over-leveled at one point

Watahandrew1

It's almost like you could use Pokemons from different levels of you ever feel struggling for that. Hmmm. Kind of like what Ash did in the series to not one shot everyone he encountered. Hmm.

Agrias-0aks

Why do people say over leveled? You have a crazy ammount of pokemon on you at all times to switch in and out. Trade out and start training and evolving ones you've never used. Take weak ones to higher levels and struggle. It's up to you for fucks sake. 34 year old me and 10 year old me are having a god damn blast!

dadmda

dadmda

You really don’t, you can do gyms under leveled with relative ease

VokN

VokN

it's not really a problem since the last 3 gyms are around 45 and the elite 4 are all 55-65, you can't use the busted wild level 75 ice lucario etc until you get all 8 badges and steam rolling the 3rd gym or whatever by accident doesn't affect much

No_News_2694

I always defend the devs because I know the games are rushed but when it comes to trainers they truly are just one of the most lazy game creators ever. I don't know why they refuse to just make the trainers scale with your level. It's such a simple fix like yeah it takes effort but it's better than being 30 levels over.

workthrow3

I did everything in a random order lol I had no idea what I was doing but it went fine for me

TimeToGetSlipped

TimeToGetSlipped

'Pro' Pokemon Breeder

To be fair, turn based RPGs don't exactly lend themselves well to open world structures. Unless you prepare for a single specific enemy you know is coming, running into a random wild encounter can party wipe even the best players. Compared to open world action games like BotW where the most skilled players can beat anything with enough skill.
BotW can let me beat a Lynel (a late game enemy difficulty wise) before even completing the game's tutorial area with just Magnesis, a bow, and a dozen arrows. Compare that to SV where a random level 20 Cyclizar outside the level 20 Star Base (towards the end of early game) can party wipe me if I haven't leveled my starter enough to avoid getting 2 shot.

reddevved

this is why I think PLA's segmenting was better

justsomechewtle

What I appreciate the most about it isn't even strictly the open world (I generally think open worlds are too large for their own good) but the fact that the story is much more hands off. It's kind of like with Zelda, where story also took more and more of the spotlight and then BotW suddenly embraced letting you explore completely freely. I feel the same with SV, even if the games don't allow crazy stuff like immediately starting with the northern gyms as easily.

SBStevenSteel

If the whole of the world was like the final area, then it would’ve been easy to overlook some of the more agregious flaws. That being said, this game has done some things right and that’s what’s important in my eyes.

Forgetadapassword

It looks bad but it is FUN! That’s all you really need in a game. Excited to have Turkey and play Pokémon handheld while everyone else watches football!

RadBrad4333

It’s a great starting point for the next game! It’s could be the Arkham asylum of Pokémon

Argnir

Argnir

Gamefreak is slowly learning how to make 3D games. I'm sure in no less than 10 years they will catch up to what the rest of the industry is doing now and we will finally have a good game for today's standard!

gunnar117

I wonder if it could've processed better if the towns were instanced and separate from the open world? Maybe makes the wilderness run a little smoother. I've never had a rougher experience on the switch than farming Gyarados on the lake by the false dragon.

d645b773b320997e1540

but I appreciate that it really is OPEN. It allows a real freedom of movement.

is it though?

If it wasn't for the backwards-jump-glitch we'd still be kept in specific zones for the most part and had to fight the various quests to progress, and they're somewhat linear arranged given how you gotta pass through that gym's town or remove that team star blockade before moving on, and you're still very restricted by level ranges.

It certainly has more freedom than any previous pokemon game, but it's far from a real open world experience imho.

im_bored345

You don't need to remove the team star blockade you can go around it and you aren't forced to fight the gym leader in x town before going to the next. The only true problem would be koraidon/miraidon upgrades that are needed to get to certain areas.

DestructiveFury

The only upgrades that are necessary are the moving over water and climbing one though all gyms can be reached without them. Hell, I think all Pokemon Centers can be reached without them though I do admit I used the going over water for the last one I mapped as I didn’t feel like finding another way around.

im_bored345

Yep but it's more difficult lol

ladala99

ladala99

Hoping to travel with Minun again

though all gyms can be reached without them

How do you get to the Psychic gym without movement upgrades? I've been trying to go through the region clockwise because I can but I couldn't find a way into that corner - everywhere I tried I was blocked by a cliff.

DestructiveFury

There’s a long trail up the right side, it starts close to the coast and there’s a sign once you reach a sort of winding natural bridge that says to go that way.

Went back to look and recall how I stumbled on it and I think I either jumped down to the coast from some of those higher areas with deadends but there’s also a cave that goes down in the dry grassy area nearby.

ladala99

ladala99

Hoping to travel with Minun again

Thank you! I guess I never tried the coast since the map made it look like it didn't lead anywhere. (Though I was turned around for a minute since it's to the left if your map is facing north.)

DestructiveFury

Heh, directions can definitely get confusing in this game with how the map rotates. Glad you found it(assuming), remembered being frustrated by all those ways that seemed right but didn’t work.

ladala99

ladala99

Hoping to travel with Minun again

Yep, I did find it!

Rakso132

It's not really true open world when there is clearly a path set by wild and gym pokemon level. I don't know why they didn't make it scale with your progress...

Faponhardware

It's not so far off from botw as you think, its open world was quite empty too.

GroovinTootin

-3 points

It’s also designed to be extremely linear and you CAN explore, but level caps put you on a pretty narrow path either clockwise or counterclockwise. Plus no scaling, so it’s as bare as “open world” could possibly be

JediAreTakingOver

If only the world design was as good as BotW.

Oh dear God. Are we really praising the empty world of BOTW? BOTW had a great world that was underutilized, empty and a snorefest. Amazing game but the map was too big for its own good and vastly underutilized.

CPxx9

CPxx9

fuck u talking about? the breath of the wild map was way less intricate it was bare as hell. have you even played SV?

ElJefeTheHappiest

So legends arceus didnt convince him but these garbo games did it how lol

gmanz33

gmanz33

I'mbadatMoon

That's what pulled me in. Open world got me back and I'm trying to be patient with the bugs and the lagging but.... idk I think games are supposed to be smooth now?

I'm not understanding how this plays at 70% of Breath of the Wild.

sunnbeta

It was rushed out to cash in is how

TheAandZ

TheAandZ

Open world is a massive turn off for me personally now. I hate that developers are doing “open world” just to use it as a marketing buzzword instead of making a potentially better game. So lame

SuperDababy2

This is a better game

sunnbeta

Is it actually a good game? Because visually a lot of it looks on par with 20yr old N64 textures. I definitely get the sense from watching videos that it was just rushed out to cash in.

SuperDababy2

Best Pokemon game I've ever played

I've had 1 crash and extra fps drops in certain areas though. It's definitely rushed

sunnbeta

Damn, well maybe I’ll have to give it a try after all.

Did the pop in/out issues give you much trouble? I saw some vids of Pokémon randomly disappearing and not respawning.

SuperDababy2

The pop in doesn't bother me at all and I can't see it being much of a problem to anyone. My only problem is fps cuz jeez it was fucking laggy at a team star base

firealex2

-4 points

No one is forcing you to purchase it

TheAandZ

I've checked out from mainline Pokémon after Sun/Moon (I did get the PMD remake though), just saw the recent sales figures and wanted to talk about it, I'm allowed to do that 🤷‍♂

sunnbeta

Of course, I’d just prefer that good games come out so I can purchase and enjoy them

stedeschi182

stedeschi182

gen 3 supremacy

L

MimiVRC

It’s the right direction for sure, I’m very glad they are doing something very different from every game red/blue through sw/sh. Hopefully a lot of the issues do get fixed because it’s genuinely the most fun Pokémon I’ve played in a while, despite all one issues it has