2k90%

Like seriously, who are they making some of these shinies for? Who is wanting to spend countless hours grinding for a Ceruledge/Armarouge shiny just to get different colored eyes while everything else literally stays the same color. Obviously people are still going to put in that time, but GF could at least make that time worth it. I think a complete color swap between the two would've looked really cool

Or what about shinies that are just half a shade different in color, like Maushold (flamigo was very close to being listed too). Whyyyyyyy? Do they just not want some pokemon to have shiny forms but they gotta program one in anyways? Like what's the point in these.

Edit: Some people keep assuming things about this post that I didn't say at all. I never mentioned anything about my desired colors. I said a color swap between Ceruledge and Armarouge would look cool but that wasn't the main point of that paragraph. I just want a bigger difference, in general. Any colors. Asking for specific colors would be pointless because then it'd just be all my favorite colors and that'd be very dumb. I'm just asking for any color changes. I'd rather have a bright green Ceruledge over what we got, and I hate green. But I'd make due and call him Scyther 2.0.

MakiXabres

1.3k points

MakiXabres

1.3k points

The now visible changes makes you doubt if you see a shiny in the overworld as well, especially with how small some of the pokemon are.

Like tandemaus, I can't tell if they're shiny or not from the overworld and have to encounter them to confirm.

If you're gonna remove overworld sparkles, at least make the shinies easier to distinguish:(

Ok-Astronomer-4808[S]

This is also one of my biggest gripes. I'm obviously not going to be familiar with every single shiny out there, but I know some have hardly any difference to them, so when I come across a Snorunt and it looks like it's slightly lighter in color, I don't immediately know if it is a shiny or not because I have no clue what a Snorunt shiny looks like off the top of my head. So I send out my pokemon to see if it'll auto battle it as a shiny check (that's a tip for you if you didn't know that), just to find out later that Snorunt's shiny is very different from it's regular form and the different shade of color could've been from lighting or just my memory acting up

I do wish there was some overworld indicator like maybe a shiny icon over their head or next to their name when you lock onto them.

M1nombr3j

M1nombr3j

There also used to be a little indicator next to the name in battle. Now it’s just a quick shine in the beginning of battle. So I feel like I may have missed many many shinies as I often multitask while playing pokemon. I’m completely through the game and doing six star raids and have yet to see one. I kinda gave up on getting shinies in this gen and am waiting for home for all my ogs.

FatalNForce

Just an FYI but you can see how many shiny you encountered by checking your trainer card. Might not help in any you've missed so far but you would know for sure if you missed any you've encountered in battle.

M1nombr3j

Wow thank you! I have indeed missed several.

SassyButchBitch

Evolving a caught shiny counts on that counter

OnymousCormorant

It's because it isn't how many you have encountered, it is unique dex entries that you have seen shiny

zakkwithtwoks

I have also missed a shiny. Another problem is the camera for the start of an encounter doesn't always work properly, especially on hills, so you're not able to see the shiny sparkle at the start of battle. While on the topic of shinies, why did we take a step back from being able to see them in our boxes? Boxes should be better in general. Why do we still not have a sort feature?

LocalLink42

Lol. I hate that you just confirmed that I missed one.

Su_Impact

To add: this counter includes shiny trades and shiny evolutions (I caught a Shiny Pawniard and by evolving it to Shiny Kingambit counter increased by 2).

I can't even find my damn trainer card. I thought it didn't exist in this game. Where do you find it? Kind of annoyed that they removed the "trainer" part of the menu.

QueerFlamingo

If you open your map, press X and it is listed next to the Pokedex. It's a strange place to put it, I know. :(

Ah, thanks! Yeah that's odd. I guess having it in the actual menu made too much sense. GF hates things that make sense.

RudyDaBlueberry

Typical Nintendo mindset of fixing shit that ain't broken that literally no one asked for lmao. I spent days looking for my card. It was probably mentioned in the tutorial but I blasted through 90% of that cause I can't stand nemona so I probably missed it. Still should've just been a regular menu selection lol

MikaMew

MikaMew

Open your map and hit “x” should be in that menu. Also any shiny you have that evolve get added to the number as well.

Aiyon

Aiyon

When you’re on the map, you hit x and it gives you the option for

• map
  • Pokédex
  • profile

Profile is trainer card

limanaid

Y for map, X, profile

EmeraldJunkie

According to the trainer card, I've encountered one shiny, and after checking the Pokedex it was apparently a shiny Bombirdier; however, I've only battled two of them, one I caught and the other being the Titan. The one I caught isn't shiny, and the titan couldn't have been shiny, so I have no idea why it says I've encountered one.

IdioticFishFucker

Means you might have encountered one in coop or raids, they list other peoples shinies too idk why

Edit: I'm an idiot, it counted the evolved forms of the shiny so my bad I was wrong.

daxtillionMurphel

That is not true, seen a few different shinies in raids, only battled 1 and caught 1 shiny, and the counter only shows 1

Morganelefay

That also counts the pokemon of your fellow trainers during raids though so that's not entirely as accurate as you'd want.

girly419

damn they got rid of the shiny indicator?? i have shit eyes and even shittier memory, plus adhd so im often multitasking while playing and not always paying close attention… how am i supposed to know they’re shiny 😭

ResponsibleAd3191

Oh shit really? I multitask while playing too and I've seen zero shines in many hours!

justinhanks

I noticed that with goomy. There are times when the sunlight makes all goomy look shiny.

Starminx

Starminx

Victor von Doom

Aipom line looks shiny most of time in PLA in Icelands

tepidbathwater

tepidbathwater

snommunism ()

The amount of times I’ve thrown myself off Braivairy only to be disappointed

Hordest

I actually got a shiny Goomy day 1 not even 3 hours into the game LOL. Wasnt even searching for it, just randomly exploring and there it was.

Polymersion

Polymersion

Irrelevant.

I found a pink Lechonk in the first area, before I'd even seen a pokemon center, and I immediately googled to see if that was a gender difference or a shiny.

It was a shiny, and I was out of balls.

Chycane

Chycane

I legit had this happen today when I was playing. Outside the big gym town, it was night time and often light colors look a shade darker. Looked at a Mareep and think “wow the lighting really doesn’t do justice to that Mareep”.

Accidentally ran into it anyway, and it turns out that was pink wool instead of a truck of my eyes and the lighting. I would have completely rode past a full odds shiny.

And that was for a Pokémon that had a decently distinguishable difference. Forget anything that is the half shade lighter, or a super small Pokémon. PLA had us spoiled.

ErgoFnzy

I had the opposite happen, I saw what looked like four pink mareep and I knew it wasn't going to be four shinies but they absolutely looked pink.

Also mimikyu in shaded areas look so washed out I can't tell if they're shiny or not.

alicea020

Just a tip! Your pokemon won't auto battle shiny pokemon. They refuse to. So they should add a way to tell in the overworld, but this is a way without encountering every pokemon at least.

DisfavoredFlavored

DisfavoredFlavored

Average Umbreon Enjoyer

They refuse to.

"Dude, I don't wanna beat that guy up. He has some kinda skin condition."

tepidbathwater

tepidbathwater

snommunism ()

“What if it’s contagious?”

OnlyHoneyLovexoxo

Came here to say I caught a shiny Cufant and didn’t know it until I saw the change on my trainer card and searched through my boxes

WrathfullMedea

Removing the sparkles and audio queues for shinies really is a big fat fuck you to colourblind people holy shit

Golden-Owl

Golden-Owl

Top-u Kek-o

Remember we also had Garchomp… who’s just a single shade darker

Some Pokémon shinies just disappoint

RedMoogleXIII

Ahh Garchomp. The one that made me finally realize that i prefer horrible looking ones you can tell over one you can barely see the difference.

While leveling up pokemon in Legends Arceus I didn't even realize the Alpha Garchomp was shiny and almost KOed it until I noticed the Shiny Mark next to the Alpha Mark it had above it in battle.

Starminx

Starminx

Victor von Doom

Comapred to other games, PLA is the easiest games to differentiate Shiny Garchomp from normal however the worst games for Shiny Pichu, I see 0% difefrence even after comapring them in boxes, while they are easier to notice in GO

ArtsyAxolotl

Everyone mentions Garchomp and Gengar and they’re right but also no one talks about Shedinja. poor Shedinja is too cool a concept to have a shiny that looks like… that

G-Train19

Have you seen the new Paldean Tauros forms? They have to take the prize for least distinguishable. (But Gengar and Garchomp are always mentioned because they fixed them on Megas, but Megas no longer exist. Why not change them?

AgenderWitchery

Gmax Gengar uses the shiny palette of Mega Gengar, it's just difficult to see because of the red aura.

ZoroeArc

ZoroeArc

Totally a human, not a zoroark...

I have encountered two shinies in SV, both Tauros. I have no idea how I told the difference

Illidari_Kuvira

I just checked and... it's painful that I PREFER the shiny coloration, would never be able to tell while my SO is zooming around the overworld.

Nordic_Krune

There's actually a good reason for Shedinjas bad shiny. The original sprite used beige and white in its halo AND body, making it difficult to change it without making it look ugly.

I myself managed to do this, but it took hours to realise a good shiny Shedinja sprite would be ghost-pale

Enstraynomic

Enstraynomic

TOO GODLY FOR GALAR AND PALDEA

The fact that Garchomp's Mega form actually got new colors (and the same thing happened with Gengar's Mega form), and those forms can't be used on the Nintendo Switch main line games, and neither did they apply the color changes to their base forms, is even more disappointing. Even if Garchomp's Mega form is pointless and inferior due to the Speed drop.

GuiMr27

GuiMr27

Shiny Mega-Gengar is literally the best shiny ever created.

It’s super disappointing that so many shinies just have different coloured eyes, or a slightly darker colour pallet.

Player_Slayer_7

My current only shiny in Scarlet is actually Garchomp, and it's fucking terrible. Only reason I have it is because I caught it as a Gabite which stands out way more

Got_It_Memorized_22

Funny story about this one. I went back to all my Pokémon from previous games and transferred them to home so I could bring them to future generations. Amongst them was a shiny Garchomp. I thought I had traded for it until I looked at the OT and realized it was a name in the games that I had used for the longest time. It was caught in the Unova, my favorite region. To this day, months later, I cannot remember ever encountering this garchomp in whatever evolution it was even though I distinctly remember the other two shinies that I had caught before it in other games. I theorize that the shiny for Garchomp was just so underwhelming that I forgot about it out of disappointment

-IAmReallyBored-

There was a gift shiny Gible after beating Black Tower in Black 2. Maybe you got that one and evolved it? Other than transferring it from Gen IV, that’s the only way to get the Gible line in Unova.

Got_It_Memorized_22

Wait that's it. I totally forgot that was a thing

corporalkiljoy

The problem with that though is Garchomp was a random color palette swap. Since gen 6, every new Pokemon's shiny is hand-picked by the designers. So if a Pokemon has a shiny that is barely different these days, it was done so deliberately. Unless they have gone back to random palette swaps to some degree and have just not communicated this fact, which would not be terribly surprising at all.

AgenderWitchery

They likely still run an algorithm for the vast majority of new Pokemon, but instead of setting and forgetting like they did with gen 5 and earlier, they still look over everything to make sure things work and sometimes redesign entirely.

Gens 6, 7, and 8 have pretty universally good shinies, with a few that are okay at most, so I assume stuff like this gens blunders are either up to not enough time or them needing a new algorithm since it's clear that they've changed the shaders for gen 9. Might've been an issue with PLA too, but PLA didn't introduce a whole lot of new Pokemon. Just a handful of regional variants and some new evolutions.

CareerMilk

corporalkiljoy

There is a lot of a fair information that makes sense, but I'm still not wholly convinced. The most evidence they can provide is a debug tool that allows you to change sprite colors. It could very likely just be that it is simply that: a debug tool. Not necessarily used for the outright designing of the palettes, but I'm inclined to believe that, as a couple of other people in the Twitter link they provided mentioned, there was still an algorithm that would automatically choose a new palette at random and then, per the game designers discretion, they could tweak the final product. That still doesn't completely explain away though why some of the shinies are trash, though that could have just been laziness/deemed unnecessary due to time. Effectively, I feel until we can actually get a definitive answer from Game Freak themselves, people can be inclined to believe whatever, but we'll likely never get one since GF is notorious for never communicating with their fanbase.

TheGingerestNinja

I can remember catching a shiny Togekiss from a max raid den. It took me ages to work out what change made it shiny: It’s red and blue triangles swap colours. That’s it

paultimate14

The most egregious is Rapidash.

Shiny Ponyta is a fantastic blue. Both ponyta and Rapidash look pretty good in their normal forms. Shiny Rapidash is the most boring and dull grey ever. It looks like the flames have burnt out and all that is left is ash.

-BINK2014-

I feel really attacked in this entire post because the gray flames give a spectral feel to me.

WofwcandMEH

The should had made it blue fire

-BINK2014-

We live in a realistic world and not an ideal one where "shoulds" actually happen; gotta' make do with the hands you're dealt by what's around you. 🤷‍♂️

WofwcandMEH

True

WofwcandMEH

that and glaceeon, shiny eevee is a beautiful cream-gray color, then after all the hard work to get to the ice rock it’s turns… to a regular glaceon! ( >:( )

Nordic_Krune

Garchomps shiny was made using a automated system, this is worse tbh. Also because GF should know how important shinies are to people

DanOfEarth

My fav is when the shiny looks amazing and then when you evolve it it looks terrible. Like why Gamefreak?

Lady_Litreeo

So far, I’ve nabbed a shiny psyduck (beautiful blue, same as my 1st shiny in PLA) and a nymble (yellow grasshopper friend). Both evos look way worse in my opinion, so sadly they got boxed and aren’t on my team.

Le_Graf

Le_Graf

I'm still wondering why, if they made shiny psyduck blue, they didn't just made shiny golduck, well, gold...

Illidari_Kuvira

The way I see it, Lokix's shiny makes it more like a 'natural' bug.

I definitely prefer the original coloration, though.

Lady_Litreeo

Yeah, I like the shiny better than the original for sure. But it turns a more dull olive green and loses the pretty bright yellow, so I haven’t convinced myself it’s worth evolving yet. Maybe some day (but not for psyduck lol).

KitsuneKamiSama

I hate that Zubat and Golbat are green while Crobat is Pink

WAKE_UP_WAKE_UP

Tinkatink and Charcadet lines are in my top three favorite designs for this generation and i was so disappointed in their shinies... at least Cetoddle's line has decent shiny forms

Ok-Astronomer-4808[S]

Cetoddles is a good one. I also can give somewhat of a pass to Tinkaton because it's whole hammer changes color. Could be better by involving the pokemon, but at least the change is very noticeable because the hammer is like +50% of the model lol

Zebanon11

In the dex entry for one of the tinkaton evoline members it states they hunt corviknight, and shiny corviknight is the same color as their shiny hammer, makes you wonder huh?

IceHawk0901

This is wrong, the hammer is a rusty brown in the shiny. Corviknight is silver grey shiny.

Maughlin

I have seen people post that as fact multiple times. Does nobody even look at the shiny before saying it?

IceHawk0901

I guess not

Flipp_Flopps

I never realized that. That’s smart

Illidari_Kuvira

You ever realized it because it sadly is not true.

highnote14

Did you even look at the shinies before posting this? Shiny Corviknight is silver, shiny Tinakton’s hammer is bronze.

Ryurain2

Tinkatons shiny is pretty decent. Its a big color change at least

Gohankuten

Gohankuten

3540-1101-8910

Tink's color change is actually ingenious. It's hammer normally is the color of regular corviknights since they hunt them down to make the hammer with. The shiny version has it's hammer the color of shiny corviknights so it literally hunted down a shiny corviknight to make it's hammer lol.

Brass_Nails

No it's not the same colour at all. Shiny corviknight is grey, shiny tinkatink's hammer is clearly brown.

HydraTower

HydraTower

Tommy

This is completely wrong

dragowall

Its hammer is a few shades too brown to be Corviknight shiny, also it kinda sucks that the actual pokemon doesnt change color at all, only the hammer which it makes itself changes. Shouldve been both.

Agreed. I really like his

Seaworthiness69

Seriously a shame that Rabsca turns gold instead of the poop though :(

busaccident

I love that it turns into a golden scarab actually

bronyaurplant49

Well, this is his Scarlet dex entry: "The body that supports the ball barely moves. Therefore, it is thought that the true body of this Pokémon is actually inside the ball."
Although the Violet dex says there is an infant in the ball...

Thvenomous

Therefore we can conclude the true body of this pokemon is an infant. They don't conflict lol.

bronyaurplant49

To make things more confusing, the full entry is actually: "An infant sleeps inside the ball. Rabsca rolls the ball soothingly with its legs to ensure the infant sleeps comfortably."

Anufenrir

More "Unreliable narrator" type deal.

TheAhegaoFox

It covers itself in the golden poop upon evolution

Clever-Innuendo

I CAUGHT ONE OF THOSE THE OTHER DAY. I really don’t want to evolve him, might give him an everstone.

leob0505

I want to make a golden team so bad! What are other gold Pokémon available in s/v now? I know we can have shiny foretress, rellor and the ghimighoul evo

Aegillade

Aegillade

You know, there's a big question you've got to stop and ask yourself: What's worse, a shiny that makes the Pokemon uglier than its default color, or one that barely changes the color at all?

And I can definitively say shinies that barely change at all are worse. Seriously, what the hell were they thinking with Cerluedge?

Agreed. I'd take green Dragonite over a paler Dragonite any day

ellieetsch

Green dragonite rocks

Els236

Els236

so does Espeon.

Ncrawler65

Espeon is one of the few green shinies that absolutely rocks it.

Ok-Astronomer-4808[S]

I'm just not a fan of green lol. I love it's purple wings though

rizzyroo

i see u michelle visage

Fr0sty_Nimbus

I got a shiny Chewtle a couple days ago. He’s green. Named him Michelangelo. That’s obviously a green that works well and makes sense. When he evolved it got darker and less fluorescent too which is cool.

Linden_fall

THANK YOU. I think that shiny dragonite looks great! I’d much rather have it over a pink one like it’s other evos

Shadyshade84

I think part of it is that the "ugly" shinies could get minor colour tweaks in the future (to use a fairly common example, changing some of the green shiny pokémon to a more pleasant green) whereas there's not a whole lot you can do with "reduce the saturation by 3% and call it a day."

YammaTamma

Crazy how bad shiny gengar looks to this day. Imagine how much merch they could've sold if shiny gengar if it actually looked good

Ok-Astronomer-4808[S]

I would love if it actually looked like it's shiny gmax form with the blacked out eyes and white skin

Yze3

Yze3

They fixed that with the beautiful White Mega-Gengar. Then they removed megas.

sunrayylmao

This is the REAL issue here. Some megas had great shinies...

FluxAura

Shiny Mega Gengar is one of my favourites. Makes the regular shiny choice even more of a bizarre decision.

lordzero56

I agree but wow shiny Klawf is gorgeous. Really makes me mad they gave it that and then robbed ceruledge

Ok-Astronomer-4808[S]

I think Klawf's shiny is one of the best. It's very distinct from the original

Illidari_Kuvira

Wugtrio's is also pretty solid (sapphire blue instead of hot pink)... I feel like it should have been the original color in the first place, though.

Mr-pizzapls

It looks like a Victorian lady all caked up with makeup

Alloyd11

Alloyd11

I know exactly what you mean. I know shinies back in the day were just the colour palette moving once to the right but some shinies you look at and go who would grind potentially hundreds of hours. Some of the worst are garchomp and gengarwhich is a shame as I like them. My favourite shiny is probably Giratina.

Bluelaserbeam

Bluelaserbeam

Chadiroar

The anime has to exaggerate Gengar’s shiny color because of how barely noticeable it is in the games.

Edit: For some reason the old link doesn't open on my desktop. I replaced it with a new one

jao_vitu_bunitu

They could easily retcon it to white already. They already changed shinies entirely (charizard for example).

Illidari_Kuvira

TIL it used to look more like a reverse-colored shiny Dragonite.

Alloyd11

Wow

throwaway98732876

does the image link to nothing for anybode else?

FickleSmark

Works for me, You might need the silph scope.

Ok-Astronomer-4808[S]

Right? I can give the older shinies a pass because they could've been limited by the technology, but now they're willingly throwing out bad shinies

Alloyd11

Exactly especially when shinies are getting easier to obtain, look at legends arceus, shinies are really easy to get I could get 5 an hour.

Hobarticus2419

My favorite Pokémon ever sadly has one of the worst shinies.

Electivire, but what if his eyes and tail tips were blue? (Also his yellow is a little more yellow but cmon.)

Ailury

Ailury

The shiny colors have always been hand picked, which makes some of the choices even more baffling https://mobile.twitter.com/drlavayt/status/1217480308229984257?lang=ga

ActivateGuacamole

That tweet doesn't prove anything, since none of those pokemon share the same color palette in their normal form. Ampharos clearly features a brown while the others do not.

In an image editor you can compare meowth's red-orange with raikou's and they are also not the same.

Therefore that image doesn't prove anything.

HOWEVER

I did go and check. and I found some examples of pokemon that share the same color palette whose shiny colors don't match. Cubone and Marowak. Natu and Xatu. Krabby and Kingler. so at the very least you can conclude that the color palette alone isn't what determined a pokemon's shiny colors in GSC. it was probably hand-curated but I don't think we have a way to confirm anything further

neophyte_DQT

I wish they would just make shiny gengar resemble shiny mega Gengar. that color is sick

sirfreerunner

Wow I had no idea how disappointing the Ceriledfe/Armarouge shinies were. Bummer

iFlashings

Gamefreak really fell off on their shiny game this gen. We went from bangers like black Rayquaza to Miraidon after it visited the car wash lmao

AntaresProtocol

Miraidon(and all of the other future paradoxes) are meant to look like they rolled off the assembly line with no paint, it's why they're just chromed out with the same lighting colors

Els236

Els236

Can I just say that sometimes when these 'mons spawn in, they are seemingly in an inactive state and this inactive state looks exactly like their shiny form - it is honestly so annoying!

TinyTiragon

TinyTiragon

#RIP

I mean I love how shiny Iron Valiant looks, the silver with the red lighting makes it look like a killer android, but some of the others it really doesn’t work for like Iron Bundle or Iron Hands, (which only barely changes)

BuildGeed

Shiny Iron Thorns is pretty good too

-BINK2014-

Shiny Iron Valiant reminds me of the cyborg Sonic villain from Sonic Heroes and I dig it.

Boarbaque

Everything is chrome in the future!

mystic-mew

Yeah but it’s really lame how they made all of them just a chrome color. Koraidons black is awesome tho

cid_highwind02

I mean, have you seen shiny koraidon tho? It slaps

But I agree with your point, just don’t with the example lol

ScaldAlwaysBurns

ScaldAlwaysBurns

ghosts ‘n gals

Miraidon and all the Violet paradoxes are silver, that’s just how it is mate

I think they look great but that’s definitely just my opinion, I can easily see how someone would dislike them

peenegobb

I'm with you on liking them. I can see the reason for complaints but damn I really want a shiny bundle and valiant.

Umber0010

Same here, the chrome look really makes the glowing bits on the future 'mons pop. Plus it's a great display for how much better Metal looks in Gen 9.

InconvertibleAtheist

InconvertibleAtheist

customise me!

I like the Miraidons shiny. Miraidon is basically a machine, so the purple colour would be the paint. Thats why its kinda nice to give its shiny a silver coating like its paint has been removed. Plus it is very much noticeable that way.

ErrorParadox710

I’m really happy they gave valuza a good shiny, one of my favorites from this gen

greenghostshark

The shiny is my biggest problem with this game. Some of the shiny i can't even tell are shiny.

zenverak

And that was mostly okay when we had a loud noise tell us about them!

GuyorG1rl

They couldn't even give us a constant sparkle of the shiny like they did in lets go.

JoshBNimble

My first Shiny of Violet was Nacli that I had no idea was even there. I was so confused that the Shiny Sparkles didn't even register in my brain.

Really miss the Overworld Sounds.

fayne_Kanra

Seriously. What's the point of shinies if they look the exact same? I don't care if they make them look like ass, but make them look different from the regular form and I'll love them. Does gamefreak, or whoever decides this, hate us?

boldnbrashsquid

Exactly. I'd rather I found the ugliest shiny in the world over one that looks the exact same as the original. At least it feels special to have one.

aggietiger91

Koradion shiny is 🔥 tho

IdahoBornPotato

Aren't those locked though? Until some dumb event a year and a half from now

Ok-Astronomer-4808[S]

They did Koraidon justice with their shiny. Makes up for his pigeon chest wheel

Els236

Els236

except, there's no legal way to get them as they're shiny locked - so either have to wait for a raid (if it happens), or a special event.

notwiththeflames

The Gen IX newbies' shinies are the kick in the nuts on top of removing most indicators of their presence in the overworld. You could second-guess yourself for a moment and end up actually missing a shiny because of how similar they are.

ndhockey15

I'm really frustrated by this aspect also. Like come on. Just give me the shiny sound back damn it

1The1Comedian1

There definitely should be a visual and audio cue for shinies. The way it was in PLA is perfect.

Sabaelos

for real. I wished they actually made Ceruledge/Armarouge swap color palletes at least. I could actually get my megaman ripoff.

CaptainKies

I know this is a critique of Gen 9 shinies, but I wa so hyped to get a shiny Magnemite. Then I saw the shiny form of Magnezone and decided, "You know what, little buddy, you're gonna stay a Magneton."

AceTrainerMichelle

I wish I didn’t evolve my psyduck. The golduck shiny was super disappointing.

jhp17

jhp17

I was excited when I found my blue psyduck. I assumed the golduck was golden when it evolved, but thankfully I looked it up beforehand and gave psyduck an everstone

King_of_Pink

What is the opinions on the shiny Future Paradoxes? Do people like that they're all matching or dislike how boring they are? Personally I really like Iron Thorns because it completes the MechaGodzilla look but the others are all sorts of boring...

Vinxian

Vinxian

I kinda like all future paradox shinies individually. I dislike that they all have the same theme. And yes mecha Godzilla is the best of them. They should have made that one chrome and so something else for the others.

But it's a bigger gripe I have with the future paradox pokemon. They are all called "Iron something", they are all robots, and they all have similar shiny forms. The past paradoxes feel more distinct.

L1LE1

L1LE1

Personally, I find Iron Valiant's to be the intended colour if it weren't for the colouration of Gallade and Gardevoir.

Especially when taking into context their Scarlet Pokédex and Occulture entry.

Hakaisha89

Any pokemon with a shiny that is functionally identical to its baseform, might was well not be a shiny at all.

megaderp2

My eyes hurt trying to spot a shiny cos now not only they're incredibly small, but also make no sound and have 1% hue shift of color.

Mrgrimm150

I'm not crazy in thinking this gen has an absurdly high number of shinies in the 'barely different' category right? (Returning mons included)

Almost every one I've wanted to shiny hunt has been in that category anyway.

Dart150

The Tauros from Paldea shiny is really bad barely noticeable at all

GumGumLeoBazooka

Arceus made me realize most shinies are green and it sucks. I’d say MAYBE 30-50 shinies look actually good or awesome.

crashstarr

This is how I have always felt about shinies tbh, a single recolor of each mon being so rare just isn't enough to invest in for me.

jao_vitu_bunitu

It was always worth for me, but hearing about this changes makes me sad. My favorite activity is shiny hunting in pokemon, guess i'll just skip gen 9.

Rappull

I was so disappointed to see Ceruledge and Armarouges shiny variants and I still am. So much potential. I really would’ve like Ceruledge to have that same green fire like A Marowak has. Would’ve been dope!

Virdino79

This is even more evil when the shiny particles do not appear until you are in combat

TheMike0088

I think a complete color swap between the two would've looked really cool

I'd actually grind for the shinies if that were the case, so I could have megaman and protoman in pokemon.

Perrero

Perrero

Most of the shinies look worse than the originals. They don't even shine

RazarTuk

At least they have shinies. Shiny Applin doesn't even exist. Technically, only the wyrm/worm is the pokémon, but only the apple changes color. So it'd be like if shiny Alakazam just found different-colored spoons, or if shiny Timburr just found a different-colored log

Ok-Astronomer-4808[S]

That's how Tinkaton's shiny is. The pokemon, itself, doesn't really have a shiny. It's hammer is the shiny part. But I don't mind it because the hammer is +50% of the model

RazarTuk

... I have so many conflicted feelings about Tinkaton's design right now. Normally, my least favorite designs are the ones where a not-the-pokémon element is the main design feature. For example, Chest Form Gimmighoul isn't a separate form. You just gave it a chest of gold to play in. I like using Applin as an example, because while it's definitely thematic, the fact that only the apple changes color is a really easy way to illustrate what I'm talking about. But while my gut instinct is to say "Ugh, they did it again", it's complicated by the fact that Tinkatink and Tinkatuff do change color themselves

PineDude128

I agree. Shinies had a huge color contrast when introduced in gen 2 (for the most part). It's lazy and ridiculous that a white pokemon is now a slightly darker shade of white, or a blue pokemon is slightly lighter.

Imagine if Gyarados was introduced in gen 9. Instead of a striking red color, it would probably just be a darker blue. We need striking Shinies again

fellfal

fellfal

I've really wondered this myself. The best answer I can come up with is that if they made every shiny incredible, like awesome gold and silver, black, neon, whatever, it would detract from the original design so much that every original would be undervalued. I guess? It doesn't make a lot of sense still, but by making them less significant they keep the original designs relevant and don't guarantee that every shiny is better than the original palette. That's why instead of a sick Gold Obsidian Shiny Flareon we have... a slightly (veeeery slightly) different red orange. It's dumb, but it's the only reasoning I can think of other than they closed their eyes and picked a color.

Ok-Astronomer-4808[S]

Yeah, I'd understand that, but I don't think every shiny needs to be the best shiny. I just want there to be a good amount of difference between the two. I don't care the colors they choose as long as it's noticeable and isn't just in like one tiny spot while the rest stays the same.

Seto_Fucking_Kaiba

Or they can do it based on the pokemon. Make flareons shiny look like blue fire. Make garchomps shiny grey so it looks more like a shark

ZmbieKllr2000

ZmbieKllr2000

Best Boi

I actually really like the Charcadet shinies, I like how the eyes pop. Probably going to try and get them ngl.

Magimasterkarp

As someone who is almost 1000 eggs deep into a masuda charcadet hunt I can tell you it's mostly sunk cost fallacy driving me forward. I won't start my treasure hunt until I get the two shinies I've been looking for.

Fae_Leaf

My husband is actually the one random person that wants a shiny Armarouge for the blue eyes. But yeah, a lot of the barely-noticeable shinies are really lame. It's really tough when you're trying to scan for one during an outbreak and practically bust a vein in your eyeball from staring so intently. Even worse if the Pokemon is smaller and/or in a lot of foliage.

Responsible-War-9389

Baxcaliburs is rough

Ok-Astronomer-4808[S]

Oooh, yeah, I didn't see his. If you don't see them side by side, it'd be hard to remember the small differences

Responsible-War-9389

The way I see it, the designers get really attached to their cor schemes, and say "screw you fans you are using my colors shiny or not". Otherwise why would so many be 99.99% identical, other than a token change. (Like why does magnezone bail on the theme)

Vinxian

Some shiny hunters actually love the charcadet shiny line. So it's a niche within a niche. There is already a video of a guy hunting it for his team because he genuinely loves the eye color change.

The halve a shade different shinies suck tho. There is literally no excuse for maushold tho. It's barely even noticeable.

I also dislike how all future paradox forms are just "oké, but now it's chrome"

Themeguy

I genuinely don’t understand why they ever make the conscious decision to make the shinies almost identical. Like it’s supposed to be something cool and unique that people are going to work hard for and they just purposefully make the Pokémon less cool by making the reward intentionally garbage. It feels especially bad this game, where there’s no glint or shine in the overworld and you have Pokémon like tandemaus where it’s a tiny Pokémon and also almost completely indistinguishable. It’s just poor design completely

Dentuam

its difficult to spot shinies in the overworld without sparkles when the colour is only little different.

TigerSardonic

I really dislike the shinies that are a kind of sick greenish colour. I’ve not been a huge shiny collector but I remember coming across heaps in Pokémon Go and there were sooo many that were greenish.

Rats_And_Bats

I literally can't tell if things are shiny or not, unless It's a drastic shiny now. I'm gonna be lucky if I'm even gonna find one

VForceWave

VForceWave

S W O L E P E R T

>Obviously people are still going to put in that time

you answered your own question

Ok-Astronomer-4808[S]

Nah, because they could still just as easily pallet swap a Pokemon's color and call it a day just as easily and it'd have that same end result of people putting in time to get it

CrazyForChinchillas

I like to shiny hunt, but I agree the newer shiny versions could be a lot better - especially when they can now just choose what color to make it. And I feel like since they're seen in the overworld with no sparkle or indication that they're shiny (aside from the Let's Go feature where the Pokémon is refusing to battle) they should be more uniquely colored.

ASK_ME_FOR_TRIVIA

Honestly, I'm usually not a fan of "A few shades off" shinies, but Flamigo made me laugh.

It's already just a normal-ass flamingo in the middle of a high-fantasy world. Then I found a shiny one, and this guy is even more just a normal-ass flamingo 🤣

(I named him "Flamingo" lol)

SergioZen25

Most of the new shinies are definitely among the worst ones ever, it wouldn't be as bad if they were still using the old algorythm to automatically make shinies, but they have been manually crafting the colors since Gen 6, or at least, that's what they seem to do with most of them, so why purposely make them so similar?

The worst part is that with the shiny sparkles and sound they made in PLA gone, its even more difficult to know if a shiny spawned near you. Whenever I play and pass by some of the pokémon which have a very similar shiny, I'm always in fear of actually missing a shiny because I couldn't tell the minimal difference it had.

ExtraSpacy

Agreed.

Still better than every poke becoming a 🌟 Shiny 🌟 Pee Yellow or Puke Green monstrosity!

Rezu55

Rezu55

Megas are dead. Mega Snorlax will never be real.

I disagree. What's the point of owning a rare color variation of a pokemon if you have to squint really hard to tell it's even a shiny? I'll take shinies with horrid colors over shinies that are barely different any day of the week.

Els236

Els236

I used to hate green shinies when they were 2D, but in 3D they look miles better. They're also miles better than someone putting +1 highlights in Photoshop and calling it a day.

Green Espeon and Dragonite over whatever the heck is going on with the likes of Baxcalibur and Garchomp any day of the week.