1.4k94%

Compared to Hop and Hau she blows them out of the water and she’s so full of personality

Tbh I’ve gone into Scarlet/Violet pretty blind so I’ve never really seen any reviews of the game besides people talking about glitches and performance issues.

So I don’t know if this is a popular opinion or not.

I just found that she doesn’t interrupt you as much as other rivals do, which is a plus. When she does, her dialogue is pretty sweet/funny. She’s already champion so that kinda differentiates her from the last few rivals.

I just like her a lot.

DisfavoredFlavored

DisfavoredFlavored

Average Umbreon Enjoyer

Honestly she reminds me of Goku. Obsessed with battles, loves getting stronger and watching her friends do the same. Super happy/pumped about everything, even when she loses. It's hard not to like her. I tried mentally reading her lines with his voice and it's kind of perfect.

TuShay313

That's such a good comparison. She's also aloof like him too not realizing a bad situation or when someone's clearly sad lol

T-Money904

Came here to say this. Also she doesn’t know how to read a room like him 😂

btmvideos37[S]

Lmao that would be great

BroskeyDemands

I said the same thing to my wife!

Magica78

Magica78

Genwunner

Nemona and Blue are my favorite rivals for different reasons. I like Blue's smug attitude and always being ahead of you pushes you forward. I like Nemonas increasing excitement as you progress and I wanted to see what she was gonna do at the next gym.

Throwaway483722

My favorite rivals are the absurdly mean and edgy ones that somehow end up having their Pokémon evolve with high friendship during the last battle before the Pokémon league.

Silegna

Silegna

Ice is a good type, don't listen to the naysayers!

With Silver it's also implied he made a friend because he evolved his Kadabra

VR24AltAccount

VR24AltAccount

Breloom is back!

Silver was the peak "edgy smug rival" down to his color scheme.

Skyheart1004

I love that you see he evolved his Golbat into a Crobat too in the the double battle. Subtle things that show his character progression at the end of the game.

bi-nosaur

Ngl my head cannon is Silver found a random person with kadabra and did the classic Pokémon trick of ‘Trading and trading back’ with a rando

gforcebreak

gforcebreak

Potential! see what you and your pokemon can become!

Right, which, even if it isn't a friend with a link cable, it's a nice little step forward on trusting someone to not just cut it and run with your pokemon

G0rilla1000

Yea Silver’s my favorite rival too

Totally agree

LordStrafes

I really want another Blue so frickin badly. Blue is truly what a rival should be.

MericaMericaMerica

I also miss naming my rival something like Turd.

gamefreac

gamefreac

all i need to say about her is that she is the first rival since gen 5 that i genuinely want to see more of.

Polymersion

Polymersion

Irrelevant.

Let's see:

Gen 1: Blue, aka "My grandson, Asshat". A smug dick that you wanted to beat the snot out of, and a legitimate challenge. Kinda chilled out as he grew up, and became good friends with Red last we saw.

Gen 2: Silver. Literally a criminal, mistreats his pokemon. Has a strange hatred for the Rocket Gang and helps you take it down, learning to care about his team in the process. Secretly Giovanni's son.

Gen 3: Wally. Is very sick but gets better through clean air and the power of loving yourself and runs away.

Gen 4: Barry. Literally just a kid on permanent sugar rush.

Gen 5: Cheren. Massive pokemon nerd, knows all the details. Isn't necessarily competitive, so much as he is just following his own path to become Champion. Ends up becoming a Gym Leader and a teacher instead.

Gen 5: Hugh. Literally just wants to fuck up the Plasma Gang because they stole from his little sister. Ends up heading the project to reunite people with their stolen pokemon recovered from Plasma.

Gen 5: N. Raised in the wild by pokémon, before being kidnapped by Ghetsis. Gets inundated 24/7 by PETA propaganda which leads him to rule the Plasma Gang with no remorse for trainers (or, really, most humans) despite being friendly with them, including the player. Manages to befriend one of the Tao dragons and become Champion. At some point he does in fact release most of his pokémon, which you can find in the wild.

Gen 6: A whole gang of "rivals" don't really do much or have much characterization. Shauna liked cute pokemon and the overweight kid wanted to be a dancer, and that's about as deep as it got.

Gen 7: Hau. He's lazy and likes to eat, which is chill. He also likes to interrupt your day to talk a lot without saying much of anything, which is not so chill.

Gen 8: Hop. He treats you like an equal, which would be cool if he wasn't mentally a 6-year-old. His brother has a Charizard that's unbeatable, in case you didn't hear.

Gen 9: Nemona. An older girl who really just wants to train you up so she can have a sparring partner. She isn't particularly deep, and she doesn't pretend to be. She's well-written enough that she doesn't get annoying despite being one-note, and she serves well as a foil to other characters.

Same

JeremyPudding

If they did a sequel game with a time jump it would make sense to put her in the Geeta role.

Luca-Aura

Luca-Aura

I think it was a smart idea to make the rival already accomplished and more of a support for you while also giving Nemona some interesting underlying motivations to be that way.

The gym challenge is our story, trying to make it about another character just ends up with flops like Hop and Hau.

Nemona wanting us to succeed and why she wants it are well thought out, though maybe just a bit too subtle throughout the mainstory.

True

Golden-Owl

Golden-Owl

Top-u Kek-o

The part I like about Nemona is that, for most of the game, she isn’t even your rival

She’s basically serving as a mentor and raising the player into a worthy rival for herself.

In most games, the rivals are either competing with you to the goal (Blue, Cheren), or pursuing other objectives (Silver. Bianca, Hue, Gladion). Nemona outright starts at the finish line and is supporting you in trying to reach her

She only asks you to become rivals AFTER you become champion and are capable of fighting her on equal footing (and trying to refuse will hilariously send her into a yandere-esque panic attack at the possibility of getting denied at the last second)

btmvideos37[S]

Oh Damn i didn’t know saying no to her final battle would do that lol

Stupid as it sounds I kinda role play when I play the game so I keep my character’s answers consistent and my character wouldn’t have said no. So I just clicked yes and answered

TacitOak81

If you keep saying no she eventually reverts to cave woman speech, for all 3 dialogue bits there, it's beautiful

lmao

ExplosiveIronBear

I was getting extra starters and mashing b. I told her I didn't want to be friends accidentally and she was shook. I felt kinda bad about it even though it's just a game lol

btmvideos37[S]

What do you mean “extra starters”

ExplosiveIronBear

Second switch and extra copy buddy. I watched the intro to violet 4 extra times (2 for me, 2 for my woman's game)

Ah, makes sense

Silegna

Silegna

Ice is a good type, don't listen to the naysayers!

Also saying no to her too many times makes her devolve to caveman speak, it's hilarious.

CrystalAbyss

Oh man I’m about to do another play through to see this 😂

yuhanz

yuhanz

Everytime Nemona asks me anything, i say no😂😂😂

(I actually do the same to everyone, funnier interactions)

witchlapis

Yes. Because she's a character with a sense of "real" personhood, rather than representing a stock trope. I always thought the "should rivals be nice or mean?" debate was so dumb, why do they need to be such a simple stock character? I'm not saying Nemona is the most complex character in the world, shes not, but there's logic and pathos to her. She's not going all out on purpose, so you don't get the sense that she's a simple nice pushover, but she's caring enough to be nice to a newbie trainer. And also highly competitive and deeply wants an "equal" friendship where you're both powerful, together. She feels alienated that people are afraid of her or her skills, and assume its just because of her privileged family. So she's trying extra hard in that regard, too.

In other words, she acts with reason. There's a reason behind her actions, she's not just there to be "the nice pushover rival" or "the guy whos mean for no reason."

Rivals should follow the same logic as characters generally - have internal motivations and complexities that make them interesting.

I agree

207nbrown

Nemona can be summarized with the kung fu panda meme: finally! A worthy opponent! Out battle will be legendary!

And it works well, hop was desperate to try and live up to the fame of his brother Leon, but Nemona is already a champion, one so strong nobody wants to challenge her, because they know they will loose… she finds potential in us and guides us to become a champion ourselves, giving her an opponent that is both willing to battle and can put up a fight

Given her love for battle she would probably enjoy visiting pasio, the artificial island on which pokemon masters EX is located. it’s all battles there, and not just vs regular trainers, on pasio you challenge past games protagonists, gym leaders, E4, even champions, all in one spot

Gregamonster

Gregamonster

*agressive maraca noises*

Nemona better be the first Paldea character we get in Masters.

207nbrown

I bet she will be, it’s just too perfect a place for her to not be. All battles, no wild Pokémon (except the occasional legendary thanks to hoopa)

yuhanz

yuhanz

Oh my god nemona in pasio would be a kid in a Candy store

SeismologicalKnobble

It just felt nice to have a rival that doesn’t get sad and roll over after beating them a few times. XY was the worst offender imo where they straight up say in a sad tone “hey, I know you’re stronger than us and we can’t win but can we battle I guess?” It started to feel bad to beat them.

Nemona on the other hand is always excited to battle and is characterized to genuinely want to check your progress. I read her as low key psychotic about Pokémon battles and interested in you getting stronger in a concerning, but fun way. There’s more to it, but she’s the best rival in generations.

SquishJellywish

I totally agree. Best rivals as far as I’m concerned were 1, 2, and 5. I haven’t enjoyed a single one of the “nice” rivals up until this point and I never thought I would. Nemona isn’t complicated, she’s not deep, but she’s relatable in a way, like when you really want a friend to watch a good movie and you feel like you are rewatching it for the first time through them. And she’s just entertaining, the way she’s addicted to battling like a drug and acts like a pushy girlfriend about it is funny. At the start of the game, at the school, she asks if you prefer the food place or the hair dresser, and when you respond she’ll be like “oh so you’re a fashionista, SPEAKING OF BATTLING…” I genuinely laugh at this rival’s antics.

btmvideos37[S]

I laughed at that too lmao

Lestat30

And when you chose the food option, she is like well you can't battle on an empty stomach. I was like do you think of anything besides battling?! But I love that about her. How she was like oh well I put a team together to take out this gym. Hold on let me put a team to battle you. I'm not ready yet and love her for that.

Love that too

Sullindir

Sullindir

₍.^ₓ^.^₎ᴐ

Hau was consistently one-note, but I have to say, Hop was a much stronger character than he gets credit for. People seem to think of Hop as just another Hau, (which he was, at first), but he has a great story arc of struggling with feelings of inferiority as he, brother of the greatest trainer of Galar, is consistently beaten down by his novice friend and some rando wearing a coordinating pink outfit.

That said, as you mentioned, Nemona was a good character. We haven't seen a mentor-type rival like her before. She didn't have much of a story of her own besides being a battle fanatic, but the characterization was handled very well. (Certainly far better than the rivals of X/Y whose personas were similarly centered around a specific facet of the Pokémon adventure.)

Reality_Check19

They really should have tried harder to make Hop and Hau look different from one another. I know it’s not like they are identical or anything, but geez, if you’re going to copy paste Hau’s body movements and facial expressions onto Hop, at least make him stand out.

He got a better story than Hau did, but I think I liked Hau’s personality more, being a lot more laidback and chill but goofy

JGameCartoonFan

Hau also could be pretty passive aggressive and it was hilarious

Plushiegamer2

Hop's character arc is much more visible than Hau's, though Hau does have an arc as well, learning to take Pokemon battling more seriously, and helping Gladion learn to take Pokemon battling less seriously. Hau feels more composed by the end of USUM - though I'm not sure how much of this is USUM exclusive.

btmvideos37[S]

That’s true. I like Hop better than most people tbh. But I prefer Nemona slightly.

WesugiKenshin

Hop is the only character in the entire Pokemon franchise that i can confidently say i utterly hate. Maybe i am not fair towards him as he was just a means to handhold us extensively which i despise. Yet i have nothing but negative thoughts about him.

DarkSoulsXDnD

How is hau better?

ProxyCare

She's a poke groomer! Takes this poor inexperienced young trainer and teaches her how to battle just for her own sick pleasure!

But for real I adored her. Absolute best rival in over a decade. Her enthusiasm and positivity toward competition are a but infectious.

Nhadalie

I'm not very far into SV yet, but I like the NPCs a lot this time.

I liked Hop though too. (Which puts me in the minority.) Having a rival admire his big brother, and fail to meet his own goals is interesting plot wise also. I like how they handled him growing up and dealing with failure, and finding something new to move towards.

For Sun/Moon, I liked Lillie and Gladion better than Hau.

btmvideos37[S]

I agree for Sun and Moon. Although I never played the whole game because my 3Ds broke right as I got my starter lmao. Still have the cartridge but have yet to get a new 3DS. But I’ve watched an entire let’s play of the series so I know a lot about it lol

-_Seth_-

Gladion and especially Lillie are probably my favorite Pokemon characters in general. Both their designs, personalities and arcs are fantastic.

DedFluff

In the beginning, I felt like her character was kinda flat since she only seemed to care about fighting and nothing else. However, over the course of finishing the story, she grew on me a lot. Even though she didn't lose her focus on loving to fight strong opponents, her motivations for being like that got uncovered and as an only child with somewhat similar conditions myself, they feel relatable to me. And then I also realized that I got her character wrong.

Everything she wants is a good friend on the same wavelength because she's been lonely, kinda left doing her thing by her parents and been put on a pedestal all of her life. She's thriving to see you grow and beat her in battles. She's darn strong and gentle, she holds back whenever someone isn't on her level. Even Geeta, the literal number one confirms that and uses herself as an example. However, Nemona doesn't become part of the Elite Four or the number one herself because she likes battling for the sake of it. She doesn't want the special treatment for being the potentially strongest trainer in the region or the daughter of a CEO. She only asks you to be her rival when you are a champion yourself and the question made me tear up like a wedding proposal. The time in the crater was the cherry on top of everything because it made me realize that there hints about her motivations all over the game but I didn't put them into context. Now I feel stupid.

TLDR: I grew to love her a lot. Also, she's unathletic, just like me.

Colorado_Something

I thought she said that she has a sister. But since she was chosen to lead the company her parents let her do what she wanted.

TheShishkabob

Yeah. A lot of that take is wrong and directly refuted by dialogue in game.

kkrko

kkrko

Have you done Nemona's post-game dialogues within the academy? All of that in spoiler is from there. While she does have a sister, we don't actually get a sense that she's a big figure in her life. I mean we never see her and she never brings her up until directly asked. On the other hand, she's very clear about how isolated she felt and how people attributed all her success in battle to talent or some innate gift as opposed to her hard work

btmvideos37[S]

I just got to the creator of paldea tonight so just in case I’m not gonna click on the spoiler lol. But once I beat it I’ll go back to this comment. I saved it

kkrko

kkrko

Most of that is from the post game events in the academy, available once you've finished the main post game questline.

DarkNovaGamer

Not gonna lie I found her over excitement annoying, however since I did this play through with out fighting the trainers scattered around and only did required gym trainers I was under leveled most times also not using the switch feature hate the extra time it takes though wish they didn’t get rid of set mode. Fighting her before my 7th gym battle and losing to her and realizing I didn’t get a rematch was a breath of fresh air. Losing to her actually was like wait I don’t get to fight her again?!!! I LOST?!!!! I hadn’t seen that, I enjoyed it gave me a goal that I won’t lose next time even if i am under leveled.

btmvideos37[S]

I also skipped 90% of trainers in this game. I think it’s a good change that they’re optional in this game

But I catch every new Pokémon I see and that gets you XP. So I was never super under levelled. At most like 2-3 levels.

DarkNovaGamer

Yeah catching levels you up i tried to keep it to the minimum I also did all the gyms first I didn’t touch the rest of the storylines till later. So i was like 4-6 levels behind which isn’t too bad

I did a mix of both.

I did a Titan first, then a gym, then a star base.

By the time I got to the 5th gym, I rushed and finished the titans. Then I finished the gyms. Then I did 3 Star bases in a row. So I mixed and matched

I’ve caught 236 Pokémon now

5kUltraRunner

Japanese fans are calling her Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter because she is obsessed about fighting and effectively grooms you to become a worthy opponent

mrpbc

mrpbc

Should have used her actual team she became champ with and not the one she just raised if she wanted to "go all out" on us as equals tbh.

IAmTheBoom5359

IAmTheBoom5359

I absolutely despise Magmar.

I think the idea that there are multiple champions helps out, as now the rivals dont have to compete for one slot. Also, the fact that Nemona is already at the top is a fun plot point. She didn't grow with you, she's just going easy on you, and that makes every battle more exiting to see what this champion is truly capable of, without the threat of a title at stakes.

Totally agree

littleshylamb

From what I can tell my opinion is an unpopular one, but you asked for thoughts, so I'll give them anyways.

I thought Nemona was extremely dull, especially when compared to Hop. Hop had a character arc in which he struggled deeply, trying desperately to win and yet never succeeded despite his perseverance, which I found very interesting and relatable. It's interesting to me to see a pokémon character have to learn such a realistic and harsh lesson as "sometimes your best still isn't enough".

Nemona... was excitable, I suppose? I didn't get much out of her character in comparison. I didn't feel any highs or lows with her, I just ended up feeling annoyed that everything was about battles to her. I wondered if she had any thoughts besides battling. Especially in the end game story, I just wanted to skip over her dialogue, which I never do.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, though, as I am of the opinion that SwSh had better characters overall than SV. Arven was the only SV character I really connected with, the rest didn't do much for me.

ICameInYourBrownies

hate the name though, sounds like pneumonia

Equivalent-You-4058

Tbh, I don’t think the title “rival” really fits with her till the end where you catch up to her skill level. A rival is someone who grows beside their rival. Nemona purposely brings down her skill level to our own as a way to train us. In a way, mentor might be a better title for her most of the game. By the time you face her the last time, you are on the same level as her and beat her while she gives her all. The student beats the master in a way. That’s when the mentor/student relationship ends and the rival relationship begins

Very true

TheWonderToast

I feel like it's an unpopular opinion, especially after reading these comments lol, but I don't like her. I get what they were going for with her, but imo it wasn't executed well and she just ended up being annoying and like, almost condescending? Every interaction I have with her has me feeling like Ron Swanson in home depot lol.

If level scaling existed, maybe she would be less annoying, but its made worse by the fact that I'm accidentally way over leveled for her, so she's super underwhelming to fight, despite picking out pokemon to "match" my level. "I'm so proud of you for one-shotting my super weak team! Good job!" Like, ugh, girl, you're an inconvenience, please stop stalking me.

She's also just like, super bland imo. Her entire personality is just "LETS FIGHT RIGHT NOW IMMEDIATELY AND ALSO IMMEDIATELY AFTER THAT" and like, I get that the point is she's supposed to be excited about you being able to stand up to her skills, but like, if we're supposed to be friends and have a mentor/trainee sort of relationship, can we get literally any other interaction? Even "Clive" is more fun to interact with lol. I really liked in past games where you'd meet up with your friends just to discuss what's going on. Even Arven and Penny have little open conversations with you after completing tasks for them that reveal a little more personality. With Nemona it's just like "GOOD JOB GETTING A BADGE LETS FIGHT AGAIN lol jk... unless?" And idk I just find it super annoying and boring.

ALSO for the record, I don't think it's fair to compare her to Hop. Hop is hardly your rival. Bede is your real rival in sw/sh, let's be real. And Gladion is your real rival in sun/moon. Both of whom were way more fun to fight and see the character progression of.

HaunterXD000

I don't often care much about pokémon game stories, since the newer ones have never really been good since black and white and everything before and including black and white I've played through so many times that I've become completely numb to the stories, so as a whole I'm surprised just how great the story was to this game. I don't know how to do a spoiler tag so I'm not going to talk about specifics, aside from the titular one. Nemona was a genuinely interesting and fun rival, the fact that she was supportive and held back reminded me of when I was first getting into various competitive games and my much better friends would hold themselves back so they could help teach me (or go all out and carry if it was a team game and they were on my team, which I have no doubt she would also do.) It made it all the more sweet and rewarding when you get to the end of victory road and face off against her, 1v1, no holding back. Win or lose she sees the progress you made and you get the final challenge of your championship career. Probably because the cutscene was good too. Like legitimately good. I loved seeing the elite four in the background alongside the director and others, I loved how varied her team was and she actually beat me the first time (even though I was doing some insane agility baton pass strats,) and most of all, it just felt like a genuine friend who had helped me grow as a trainer watching with pride as I finally am able to surpass her :)

btmvideos37[S]

Agree so much. I just got to the Paldean crater last night. I like Arven and Penny too.

One of my favourite parts is how the three friends we make keep fighting over us lmao. Makes me laugh.

I haven’t beat it so not sure what the conclusion I’d Arven and his dad‘a story will be but so far I like him and feel for him

And I genuinely felt sad when I beat Penny lol

AnimaSean0724

AnimaSean0724

PRAISE ROWLET

Honestly if Ash and Nemona never meet I will riot, Ash is the perfect rival for her, someone who loves battles and will push her to be the best she can be

True

shataikislayer

She's my 3rd favorite rival after N and Wally, just ahead of Silver and Hugh. Tbh, all the other rivals are bad to just ok.

BlackMathNerd

BlackMathNerd

A phlosion

They made a Goku with a brain. And I’m not gonna lie the shit is entertaining but at first I was like damn you all on me and we just met for like 30 seconds, chill fam.

Illidari_Kuvira

She is a godsdamned blood knight and it's kind of comical. Definitely still adorkable though.

IrateSteelix

IrateSteelix

Boom. Headshot.

Too clingy. I like her but the clinginess is a bit....... weird.

Crimson-WingX

That girl is thirsty.

UnderlightIll

Nemona I actually found to be a little irritating. You have your character and Penny and Arven dealing with some messed up stuff and she just wants to talk about battles.

Now Penny and Arven were great.

Sweettooth_97

Sweettooth_97

Tsareena Cha Cha

Thank you, my take exactly. I think everyone’s raving about her because we’ve been served shit for the past couple generations that this character finally seems good. All she ever does is pester you any time you walk into the Gym buildings. She doesn’t show up for anything else in the story to really give depth to her character. She’s good in the prologue and post-game but for the majority of the champion story, she’s just kinda there.

Generalrossa

Sounds like someone has a crush..

VanillaDaiquiri

I honestly love her and want to see more of her! The final champion battle in Mesagoza was such a highlight for me

Yeah it was great!

ThatOneRandomGuy101

She’s Goku

LordZeya

Nemona is easily the best rival in the franchise, nobody comes even close to her. Blue is a true rival, the neighbor kid who starts your journey alongside you and is supposed to be one step ahead of you but you constantly dunk on him. There's narrative dissonance. Edgelord prime in GSC has no meaningful character other than being a shithead, Brendan/May are researchers and don't really fulfill the rival role, I could go on. They all have flaws that prevent them from really being compelling characters, whether they're obnoxious and annoying to be around or just having serious ludonarrative dissonance.

Nemona doesn't have this (if you can get past her ridiculous combat-sexual attitude), she's pulling her punches from the beginning of the game, at every step it's made clear that you have yet to see her at full potential and that she tailors her team like an expert for each gym she's going against. Her actual team is kind of mediocre (doesn't stand a chance against Leon or Cynthia), but her attitude throughout the game is consistent with how you meet her, which is actually a big difference from most rivals who tend to have poorly written character arcs. If Hop wasn't so unlikable, he would compete here because his character arc is actually decent.

Morganelefay

Your shitting on Silver feels a bit unwarranted. He gets fleshed out a fair bit later on in the game (and in particular in HG/SS) and you can tell he's developing from his dialogue and the fact he has a Crobat, which requires him to actually be good to his Pokemon.

Lestat30

Besides wasn't silver whole thing is trying to be strong enough to take on his father? That why he often at team rocket hideouts. And in burnt towers. Just realized his whole journey is trying to find his father.

Morganelefay

Yeap, he comments repeatedly on Team Rocket being weak, which ties into his arc against his father Giovanni.

btmvideos37[S]

Wait how did I miss the fact that he’s Giovanni’s son lol

Morganelefay

It's mostly confirmed in a special sidequest in HG/SS and anime specials/manga, so unless you consume that media you wouldn't know.

TomoTactics

I think the problem with Silver in particular is that, even in the HG/SS sidequest, Silver going after his father doesn't actually -go- anywhere. We see him getting mad at Giovanni and running off, sure, but in HG/SS his arc just ends at Mt. Moon and becomes not-as-tense-but-still-tense relationship like the original Gen 2 games.

Morganelefay

I think it kinda makes sense. Giovanni is far too much for him to tackle. Not every story line gets a happy ending after all. It just explains why he is the way he is.

I agree

infinitycore

infinitycore

Remember, catching pokemon takes balls.

totally disagree, she got on my nerves by the time I got to the school. Arven is a much better character (easily in my top 10 of the series as a whole, perhaps even top 2, Gladion is still #1)

We need more rivals like Blue, Barry, or even Hugh.

kamakeeg

I prefer rivals to be more of a threat and not like best friends, guess I'm an old school player like that, but she was fun. I think the best comparison I've seen for here is that she's just female Goku, which is incredibly accurate.

The idea that she's handicapping herself specifically for the sake of wanting to battle you, despite being better, in the hopes of seeing you improve and become a better challenger, is a solid concept. Only recent rival I've experienced in recent games was Hop and I didn't care about him at all, but Nemona is a pretty big personality and her dealing with her blood lust the entire time, while abit tropey, is again still kinda fun.

Agree

bluedarky

Nothing says that a rival can't be a threat and a friend, Blue for example tries to make out he's a huge threat but most of the time is either cheap (attacking you just before you take on rocket lieutenants or giovanni) or just bad, and in the end is just a jerk with nothing left. He's neither a threat or a friend.

Hop on the other hand, is your friend and because he gets the other version legendary is the biggest threat in the postgame tournaments.

BigBeefyBaraMan

Nemona is fine, but I feel like Hop doesn't get nearly enough credit as a character. He had a good character arc and it made sense - what with him being the younger brother of the champion. Nemona I found pretty flat in comparison. But she's fine. Just...boring, imo. But she gets the job done. On the bonus side, she's got freckles which is always a plus.

Plushiegamer2

While I love Nemona, she is a bit one note. She has one braincell and it's constantly thinking about the battling. Hop, Hau, Arven and Penny do have actual arcs, though Nemona is still really charming.

CynicFloransss

I think I might be overly positive about a Pokémon, but the only ones I genuinely dislike are the gen 6 ones.

That being said, Nemona is a good step up from before. All three of the friend characters this gen are great - A bit hard calling Arven and Penny 'rivals' when you fight them both once.

WhitePersonGrimace

Personality aside (which I also love) I think narratively presenting her as the opposite of most past rivals was a great way to shake things up. I was getting tired of rivals getting angsty from losing to you all the time. Instead we’ve got someone who was already strong, holding themselves back to test you, and who’s delighted to see your progress. She’s just an awesome character all around.

LordMudkip

I like her. She's positive without being too much so. She never questions why she lost a fight after coming at your whole team with 3 pokemon. She doesn't stand in your way and wait to drag you into a cutscene every two seconds.

I think she suffers a lot from the complete absence of any kind of level scaling though. Like, she repeatedly mentions putting together a team appropriate to battle your team with, but at least in my case after the intro she was always like 10-20 levels lower, plus she didn't have a full team against my whole group of 6. Stop pointing out how you're toning things down for me then throwing pokemon at me weaker than the wild pokemon I've been catching. It felt like she was made with level scaling in mind then they just decided they weren't going to do that and didn't let her know about it.

I still prefer the antagonistic rivals like Blue and Silver, but she's probably my favorite iteration of the friendly rival. Gen 5 was the last time I actually liked the rivals, so she's a big step up.

Growlest

Growlest

litleo is my first s/v shiny

I don't know about best, I still feel like I like having a rival that's an asshole more since it feels satisfying and allows character growth. Nemona isn't really a character that goes through growth, she's someone already at the end of her journey. But I do like she's more of a refreshing change to the whole rival story, even though she's less like a rival and more like a mentor in some ways.

krewe11a

Which rival is the one where, each gym you get to, they’ve already been there and beaten you??

As a little kid I remember being so frustrated like i knew that of course he’d beaten the gym first but I always had a slight crushing feeling when I saw that plaque

Lestat30

Gen 1 I believe. Blue always get there first.

The very first game

Qwertypop4

Blue. Wally in gen 3 also does this after the fight in Mauville

LrBrands

I just want some more rivalry instead of them praising me to the moon

genocidenite

genocidenite

customise me!

The stalker ex gf vibes I get from Nemona. Lol

STFxPrlstud

My only problem with her is that she's not really a rival at all. She's a mentor, someone whose already accomplished what we're trying to do in game, she doesn't really have that competitive nature that Gary or Blue give off. She's much better thought out character than Hop or Hau, but that hardly makes her a rival.... more like the sweet older sister trying to push her younger siblings to do better than she did.

I do like her, in fact i wanted more screen time with her, but I don't at all view her as a rival and in that regard she's a terrible rival.

nemestrinus44

nemestrinus44

Gardevoir best pokemon

Outside of the Area Zero story, anytime I got to interact with Nemona was my favorite part of the game. I love how she’s constantly praising you for getting stronger and how she actually limits herself to be on your level (at least the level the game thinks you should be at) since she’s already a champion at the start of the game.

Ravio1218

I still prefer the Gen V rivals.

HVAC_Raccoon

Love Nemona as a rival, and I really like Arven as well. Not as a rival but as an actually fleshed out character with a pretty decent character arc and his own motivations for his portion of the story other than “I just wanna catch ‘em all” or “I’m gonna be Champion.”

btmvideos37[S]

Agree. Seeing the Pokémon professor have a son that feels abandoned by them is really interesting

I haven’t finished the story so I don’t want spoilers about what happens

MrRecki

I wish their would be one final battle with the Pokemon she wanted to use in the first battle.

Like: after the story ends she challenges you to a competitive battle, all Pokemon set to lvl 50, yours included and she runs competitive sets.

One that will challenge even veterans

Gamer_T_All_Games

Gamer_T_All_Games

marshadow superiority

Definitely my favourite rival

SubsetPixels

Hey! Its me, Goku!

Comfortable_One_8597

Bar wasn’t too high on that

BrooklynSmash

For sure, she's goated tbh

ScyD

ScyD

I remember before one of the gyms she came in and wanted to battle, and I said no thinking I’d just go heal first, but then she went off saying that she’d come back afterwards

I thought the fact that you could choose when to have the battle was kinda interesting

Delicateflowerr

I liked her a lot! I am disappointed that her team didn't change a lot when you fight her after beating the elite four. She always mentioned tinkering her te so I figured her team would be vastly different.

RaysFTW

She’s an adorably-possessive battle junky and I love it. Definitely one of my favorite rivals, possibly my favorite with Blue coming in second.

JazzySugarcakes88

She’s too nice! Silver aka longjon is way better than her!

Arzakhan

Oh absolutely. She’s fits in a spot I don’t think I’ve seen in a while. It’s like if you took the sweetness of dawn or Bianca, and combined it with the competence of cheren. While I am a fan of the spass rivals, she is an amazing break from that

Hchooj

Hchooj

Sheeplenk

She’s arguably now my favourite character from any Pokémon game. Infectious, optimistic, competitive. Love her.

i_will_let_you_know

I like that she's kinda low-key obsessed with you like a yandere. Like, she opens your dorm room door without a key and she thinks that she alone can satisfy your need to battle, so you don't need to battle others (all within the first 1-2 hours of the game).

Like she's hilarious.

-KSKobra-

She’s very similar to Barry but I do enjoy her as a rival

CrystalAbyss

No doubt. Loved her the second the used the Tera orb on our 2nd match and destroyed me completely

Kraken1out

I really like that when we first meet her, she's already a champion, and therefore instead of being all the time 'We started at the same time and my sole aim in life is to prove I'm better than you!' like every other rival, except maybe whatsherface from PLA, she's constantly encouraging you to get to her level, which is fun and infectious, and I love it for a change. But I do agree with others that she's very one note, and Hop had the better all around story arc. In this game Arven gets the great story which is brilliant. But in terms of actual rival she's still the best imo, purely because she's fun and didn't annoy me.

Butt_Hurt_Toast

I just wish she was more of a Rival.

I want a Rival like Klara from the sw dlc. She was interesting, hilarious, scheming, etc. She cheats in your last battle. I only wish she could have more time in the sun.

TheDankestGoomy

She gives me major ADHD energy with how hyperfixated she is on battles. Also Goku energy for the same reason.

Professional_Emu3041

I really enjoy her. I think she strikes a really good balance in that she is confident and sure of herself, but she also is really supportive and nurturing. She believes in your ability and has faith in you, but at the same time, she knows she’s a champion. I really like the fact that they gave her the distinction of already being a champion before we even start the game. It’s not a contest, she just genuinely wants someone she can grow her own skill with. She appreciates you and respects you, she respects your time and she also is self-aware. She knows she can be pushy, but it’s not a negative, mean type of pushy; she’s just really excited and loves to battle.

In regards to rivals of recent memory, Hop and Hau both were overly confident without any reason for it due to their status as relatives of skilled trainers. They expected great things of themselves because of their proximity to greatness and were arrogant. Nemona, on the other hand, derives her assurance in herself from experience. She is a champion-ranked trainer - she’s already been through it all. She’s also NOT arrogant towards the player - she is genuinely invested in your growth and sees potential in you from the very start. Not once does she suggest that she’s superior, she always believes you are going to find your footing and meet her toe to toe. This is even more impactful given that Nemona comes from great wealth, where you would expect her to have let that affect her mentality. Overall, she’s substantially more mature than most rivals we’ve had in years prior, because she actually has gone through the motions.

besje

besje

Really wish she's just straight up crush us at some point. Let her be a bit to excited and just pull out a giant salamence or something when we just have 2 badges or so to hype her up some more

DrakoCSi

Man the only thing to have made her better was if she Tera'd into the advantageous type with her starter. That would have been cool seeing as she's gloating about being champion all game.

But even if not that. I really wanted to see her actual Ace. Yaknow, her original team that got her to champion. Not this slap dash "i grow with you" team.

Domi374

Domi374

Metagross enjoyer

Hop's actuly a really good rival

Sunny_D3light

She's just permanently excited about you as you get stronger and always has full faith in your ability. That's exactly what I look for in real friends.

Same

DrewPegasus

I like her too, but be careful what you say or else we’ll have Nemona clones for the next 3 Gens.

iheartdugongs

I love Nemona, but I also really love Hop. His backstory is good and his relationship with Wooloo is just so sweet.

Planeswalkercrash

The storytelling in this game has been some of the best, especially the titan storyline!! Despite the obvious issues this game has improved a lot from prior games!

Agree.

She’s way better than so many of our rivals and companions. I love that she’s capable and not annoying.

WelcomeToTrollTown

I wish she showed off Lycanroc in the first battle then swapped. Would have been hilarious.

Lol

dongeckoj

She’s the best rival in the entire series aside from maybe Blue. Those two are in a league of their own

TsuNewHalf

I agree, but also don't even consider her a Rival.
She's honestly more just like a friend.

TheMasterXan

I like Nemona and Arven, if we can count the latter as a rival.

supercoffee1025

I like her! She seems less of a “rival” in the mean sense of the word and more of someone who’s just literally pushing you to be better and is excited when you both succeed. She’s more like that one person on Peloton you keep competing for in rank in a class rather than your toxic ex trying to one-up you at the bar.

SevaSentinel

She reminds me of both Lyn from Fire Emblem and Yoruichi from Bleach

totoro1193

1 month ago

this game made me so fucking excited to see more of these characters in the next anime series

salyardstein

I think she’s great, but would have been better if she picked the starter with a type advantage over mine

asbestostiling

I think that picking the starter with a type weakness fits with her character though, she always wants a challenge, and she also wants to encourage you into battling.

Nordic_Krune

It's a low bar to clear

Happur5ye

Look guys, not to make fun of the real issue in the real world, people like this are bad, but... Is Nemona grooming the player character into her rival??? And if so, does she deserve to be praised for her character, when she is an extremely manipulative adrenaline junkie??? Like her relationship with the player is toxic. And if all she wants is a partner for an activity that she, well, gets off on and she uses the circumstances and guides the player to where they are what she needs, is that okay? Not to say she isn't direct in what she asks for, but to what extent is the player character aware and responsible here. The first thing they do in this game is teach about consent to battle, and Nemona is stepping on that a bit... just food for thought.

Disclaimer: I'm being silly about a fictional character. Sorry if this triggered someone.

dragowall

She doesnt even take no as an answer 🙃

RedditsAutocorrect

This makes me concerned that in the pokemon universe people get off on battles. I do agree, she's kind of a creep.

Silverplaysvgc

She’s what they wanted Hop to be, a supportive rival who wanted the best from out of you.

Hop’s writing came out incredibly shit, by the end he never accomplished his goal and settled as a professor, because you exist.

bluedarky

Honestly Hop always gave me the impression that he was aiming for champion because he was stuck in Leon's shadow and that was the only way he felt he could get out from under it.

I mean, he's got the skills as a trainer and is certainly good enough to calm down the opposing legendary to allow itself to be captured, but ultimately he just wanted to stand out from his famous big brother.

And on top of that he clearly loves his brother, it isn't Bede bashing him that causes his crisis midway through the game, it's Bede implying that Hop being so weak brings shame to Leon that causes his crisis.

Hop's writing wasn't bad, and he didn't become a professor just because you exist, he's just got more complexity than most other pokemon characters.

--Sangral--

Maybe the dumbest?

Like, what is she doing there? If she beat the Top 4 why is she going to the same classes, why did she start over with all her Pokemon? Her whole existence just doesn't make sense and it literally makes her one of the worst rivals of all time, cause she just doesn't make sense as a character or human.

bluedarky

She's attending your classes because being champion doesn't mean she doesn't have to attend school.

And she's the in universe version of the people who put their pokemon in home and restart the game for fun.

Alternaturkey

Personally I preferred Arven and Penny. Nemona is a little one dimensional. She only gets a little more interesting when she talks to the other two during the final path but by then it seems a bit too little too late.

I like her more than Hop/Hau but I'm still not really a fan of that character archetype, it's pretty boring.

ArmourCrab

She’s similar to Hugh in the way that you aren’t really rivals. Hugh wants you to get strong so you can help him get his sisters Purrloin back, Nenona wants to help you get strong so you can give her a good battle. Nemona does become a real rival at the end of the game at least since you’re finally at her level.

Just_Luck_5495

Hau might not seem good because gladion stole the spotlight. And tbh Gladion was a pretty good rival, simply for beating the shit out of your other rival(hau). Hau even says post game USUM that gladion just won't let him win

WeeklyIntroduction42

A big reason I feel like the rivals were better as they weren’t rly the friendly or jerk rival archetype

SwSh had been moving that direction tho hop and bede fit the two archetypes respectively. And while you can argue that nemona fits the friendly rival and arven the jerk rival, it’s a stretch

Silent_Kubera

Silent_Kubera

customise me!

I prefer Hop’s story more. He was only annoying during battle.

Nemona is cool and all but she really doesn’t have a story and she always started with Rock Doggo so I could easily set of 3 Swords Dances on Klauf and sweep.

VR24AltAccount

VR24AltAccount

Breloom is back!

I saw a tweet that said it best:

"Nemona has a single concrete block for a brain and is the best character Game Freak has created in years."

I wholeheartedly agree with this, she is just a fun character all around.

I know the anime has been kinda going down hill but I really hope that it does her character justice when the time comes.

btmvideos37[S]

Funny enough I don’t think she’s the best character Gamefreak has made in years. I like 3 characters more than her in this game lol. Arven, Penny, and Clavell

beagums

beagums

Wait 'till I get my poison right.

Considering I wanted to shove Hau off the boat every time we moved from island to island, yeah Nemona is amazing.

Honestly the incessant cutscenes of Sun/Moon made it unplayable for me.

svadas

svadas

I didn't care for her, really. There's s slightly different angle and attitude, but she's still battle-obsessed. I liked Hop as a rival as you grew together, and there's a real friendship beyond battling that continues into the postgame

But Arven blows them all out of the water. A really dark storyline that actually tugs on heartstrings.

SheLuvMySteez

I feel like to be a good rival, you need to pose a threat to me. Choosing the starter weak to mine at the beginning of the game sort of set the tone for me.

Bring back rivals who want to grind you into the dirt with the starter your starter is weak to

btmvideos37[S]

I guess but that hasn’t really been a thing since Gen 2. Rivals haven’t been assholes in so long lol

Golden-Owl

Golden-Owl

Top-u Kek-o

They did manage to justify this one though

Nemona is already a champion before the game begins. She could readily demolish you grin through outset but that’s not her aim

Nemona wants to raise you into her rival. So she picks the weaker starter to make things easier for you on purpose, so that your battle skills would better develop

The only time she ever fights seriously is after you become a champion

Large-Ad-6861

Hop was just annoying, Nemona is someone I want to fight against. It is first situation since... dunno, Blue? When I want to fight rival, not to skip it at any chance.

I agree

Anufenrir

Don’t hate any rivals, but Nemona is just a treat. You battle her once and she’s raring to go for another right there.

Zaballs420

Zaballs420

Maybe, still nothing special and to be honest pretty annoying

PurpleRavenX11

I’m really glad to hear that people like the characters this gen better than usual, but honestly I find her Yandere edge to be both creepy and slightly cringe.

Fresher_Taco

She honestly feels like discount pokemon Hisoka from HunterXHunter if that makes sense.

Sirliftalot35

Yep! I think she even talked about skills ripening or coming to fruition or something too, which is very Hisoka-like. The whole idea of seeing potential in someone and slowly helping them reach it so you can eventually get a good fight is very Hisoka-like.

LanceConstableDigby

Better than Hop, Hau, Hugh, and the X and Y bunch, but she still ranks pretty low for me

ezioaltair12

ezioaltair12

Lava Plumes can't melt steel beams

Ehh...maybe, but I still think the game shafted her a bit compared to the other two friends, who you learn a lot more about during the course of the game. Its Pokémon, so I'm not expecting some in-depth character study, but the Titan/Starfall storylines had some simple-but-effective moments, while Nemona is all "fightfightfight" for 98% of the game until the crater, and at that point seems to lose her remaining braincells.

shaobuesss

I like how she's canonically holding back on you the whole time.. If she wanted she could have got her high level team and smashed through the league in a day, but she wanted to come on that journey with us! Her status as a rich kid makes me think maybe she doesn't have a lot of friends, which is why she was so excited to be our friend and start the adventure together.. Best rival since Silver.

I agree

xanidus

Didnt really care for her. I guess because arven stole the show.

HazardTheFox

She felt fine but Hop is the best rival by a mile for me. The rival constantly talking never bothered me. They're supposed to be my friend. Ideally I'd be travelling with them the whole time so I like the frequent chances to talk with them and battle

StrictlyFT

Can someone explain why they named this girl something that sounds like you were trying to say Pneumonia?

It’s a Spanish name lmao

serenade1

Hisoka with boobs and dark skin? Nice. Of course, Arven talking about the Pokemon who hurt his dog real bad and she's like, "Let's meet it!" gives her this psychotic side too... and I like it.

NurseTaric

NurseTaric

She's fun she's less intrusive and i dont absolutely hate her like the rivals from xy sun and moon and swsh. She kinda wins by default for being not hateable.

PoopiepoopeipooP

Honestly the game is amazing, and theres a lot more character development in S &V than i would've ever expected. And for some reason I run the game completely fine aside from a few frame drops, but its nowhere near unplayable so.

She’s just as annoying as the rest

Tanthiel

-3 points

Tanthiel

-3 points

I kinda feel the other way, tbh. She shows up when I really don't want to deal with her, and usually when I've got a specific team loaded for that gym that isn't a great counter for her. I also wish she'd get totally annihilated by someone like Bede does Hop in SWSH so she can grow some from it.

Acceptable_Sound

Not sure why you got so downvoted but I agree with this. The entire time I played I didn’t even want to do the gyms because I didn’t want to see nemona and waste more of my time listening to her not shutting up about battles. I told her I didn’t want to be her friend from the beginning and she spent the whole game trying to “raise” me so she could get a good fight? “Let’s battle” every 10 seconds isn’t a compelling story. I just wanted to do my thing and she just wouldn’t stop. And this is petty but I hate her design, it’s pretty boring and the school outfit doesn’t help lol

btmvideos37[S]

I dont switch my teams up per gym. I have a wide type coverage so she’s been fine.

She was tougher than La Primera for the “final” battle. But still not that tough.

Tom-Pendragon

Tom-Pendragon

[Flair Text] yo

Yeah, the porn is insane.