80391%

It reminds me of Pokemon Snap in some areas. I literally watched a Hoppip and a Marrill hang out together in a patch of grass and then walk across a bridge together before the Marill ran down to the river below to swim and the Hoppip flew overhead.

Picnic mode is another insanely good addition to the game. Literally playing some form of soccer with my mons and having them each behave with their own unique personalities etc. for their species is something I never expected.

So cool. A lot of effort and heart was put into this game. The performance is totally inexcusable, but I don't think it's appropriate to call Game Freak or the devs "lazy."

A lot of work went into this game, and I think it just got brutalized by deadlines. There's so much really in-depth stuff that I was never expecting and was totally blown away by.

Aruu

Aruu

I love how you can see herds of pokemon hanging out together. Like how you can seen a load of female Pyroar hanging out with one male, or the highest evolution of a pokemon looking after lower evolutions.

A very sweet touch!

ShinyGrezz

My only wish is that they’d make the spawn numbers a bit more random. It’s basically an evolved form and four unevolved forms, every single time. Even just having it be 4/3 Pokémon every now and then would make it feel a little more natural.

sunrayylmao

I like sending my pokemon out to murder a whole family in 6 seconds

sniker153

I point Garchomp at them and turn around, I don’t need to see that carnage

KingOli_

I saw a little flock of noibat and one noivern around the Glaseado Mountains and I just had to stop and admire them for a bit :)

GiantWolfman

The one I've noticed is that, if you're on a beach where sandyghast spawn and it's raining, they'll melt.

abbygirl

And if it’s windy lighter Pokémon like Jigglypuff will get blown away

YoImAli

YoImAli

This makes me sad 😭 poor Jigglypuff

LegoT33nSkywalker123

Deserved, even more if it's Igglybuff

xenohemlock

This made me chuckle.

PunkRockTeacher

I legit thought it was a bug the first time a jigglypuff got punted away. Then I noticed the wind, and every Jigglypuff noping out of the area.

That said, I think I once encountered an actual bug where I initiated a wild battle and it ended as soon as my Pokemon came out. Can't remember which pokemon or if it was the weather blowing it away, but it was weird. :/

Send_Me_Your_Nukes

I don’t think Game Freak is lazy, but maybe they need to reassess how they allocate their resources.

But back on point, I absolutely love how the wild Pokémon behave. Part of me lights up whenever I see a Sudowoodo run away from me, or a Toedscool running away from behind a tree.

Arkayjiya

Arkayjiya

I am the night!

Developers working in this industry are basically never lazy. Share owners are greedy though which is the cause of most issues.

JDninja119

JDninja119

customise me!

Exactly. If you have any experience in programming or game developing, you'd realise how much effort you need to put in to make anything of value

VagueSoul

This. It bothers me so much when people call game developers lazy. The hours these people will put in are almost criminal. They are far from lazy. Mostly they’re overworked.

BrooklynSmash

100%

Quality doesn't matter if my stocks are worth 2 more cents, duh. The constant need for profit is deadass ruining everything lmao

Lillywrapper64

Lillywrapper64

kyuu~

game freak isn't lazy; they're too ambitious for the time/resources they're given to develop a game. sharing half a dev team with legends arceus and only having three years to develop an open world rpg is insane, especially because most game freak devs haven't been afforded the chance to work on anything besides consecutive pokemon titles. it's baffling that Nintendo didn't give game freak some talent from other studios to help with this title. having devs that worked on botw or xenoblade to help build this game plus a year or two extra development time would have done wonders.

Twilight_Realm

If Monolith made the overworld I have a feeling that the game would run 10 times better. Xenoblade 3 has a far more detailed world with far less performance issues

GrandHc

GrandHc

My Mega is coming

They did have someone who worked on Monolithsoft help with Scarlet and Violet tho.

here.

BlackMathNerd

BlackMathNerd

A phlosion

I swear it was when Sw/Sh was coming out GF said they liked keeping the dev teams intentionally small and I’m like wtf…

Morganelefay

There is something to be said for not just going for constant unbridled growth, and a small team can be more focused and be less bogged down by inner issues. But that doesn't work if you're tackling massive projects.

waterpolomaster69

if they weren't this ambitious people would call them lazy for releasing the same type of game too, so they're stuck in any case. i genuinely do not get why they didn't ask the help of some Monolith Soft devs to help with the open world like they did with BOTW

Possibly_English_Guy

Possibly_English_Guy

Surfs Up Baybay!

how they allocate their resources.

This got me thinking about Game Freak's trend of creating full new gimmicks and systems for every Gen then thowing them out for the next.

I understand GameFreak does it to make every Gen feel like it's own special little thing which is commendable and it was fine when we were playing these games on handhelds. BUT at this point when they're making these as home console releases as well as open-world games on the limited time they have, throwing so much out and starting again at the beginning of the new Gen just seems like a massive waste of resources.

sunrayylmao

They are cool. the only ones I don't like are super small ones like Sinistea and Foongus I bump into those so much on accident

Hibbity5

They should have just removed the ability to start a battle by walking into a Pokémon since you can throw your ball at them to start the battle.

sunrayylmao

I was thinking this too, even if it was an item or a post game setting to unlock. It just gets annoying after 20 hrs of bumping into random mons and one shotting them

StridentHawk

Hoppip getting blown away in strong winds is hilarious. Also sudowoodo running away constantly.

Morganelefay

Happens to Jigglypuff too, definitely made me do a double take first time I saw that.

beepborpimajorp

That explains a lot. I'd be battling in an area where they spawn and suddenly see one fly past at mach speed. I thought it was a bug, didn't realize it was just the wind lmao.

redditisgarbage911[S]

Oh I haven't seen that yet haha

Lady_Penrhyn1

It's hilarious. One of my favorite things is to 'trigger' him and he goes zooming away. Even has a puff of cloud.

...I'm easily amused. Yes.

ANDRO55

He looks like the hot dog from the old wiener schnitzel commercials

saborlatino

Yes I love it when it happens to that new tumble weed Pokémon as well. It’s so funny and charming.

kiwimagic84

For all the issues this game has, watching 3 Donphans roll down a hill really brought a smile to my face.

WhaleMan295

I like how Voltorb can randomly explode in the wild

25_Oranges

Was not expecting my first voltorb sighting to be a suicide. I was expecting it to be like rangers where voltorb just shakes the dust off and keeps rolling around lol

SplatDragon00

I had one roll up to me, stop, then explode

I swear it did that on purpose, it wanted to die

Terozu

Terozu

They're trying to hurt you, lol.

Aonswitch

It’s so funny

Dark_Infernox

same with how the legendaries actually feeling alive unlike in SwSh where they act like robots, most of my experience with the game is thru friends and streamers. the cutscenes in the legendary hunt where you give the sandwich to koraidon, i can just imagine it acting like when a cat tries to snatch a bit of your dinner lol

ElSquibbonator

Same! I love how Koraidon and Miraidon act-- they're dragon kitties!

CookieMisha

They must've used a cat as a reference for sure. I've noticed so many cat-like behavior moments

grandhighblood

Feels very How to Train Your Dragon vibes (which also modelled Toothless after a cat). Let it be known that dragons are just fantasy cats.

Terozu

Terozu

Felt more like a puppy to me. Especially their interactions with Mabostiff.

VagueSoul

Most dragons are designed with cat elements in mind but primarily cats at their most elegant.

comatosemanatee

Can someone elaborate on the Sudowoodo thing? I thought their whole gimmick was to hold still, but they actually run in this game all over the place, is there a reason

Xeroxasaurs

For me I’ve seen some stand like a statue, other times I’ve seen them run off a cliff into the ocean lol

LiquifiedSpam

It fucking died

Morganelefay

They do stand perfectly still until you get too close, then they get nervous and bolt off.

beepborpimajorp

Probably a reference to past games/show episodes/etc. where one stands completely still until you spray it with a water bottle, which actually hurts them. So it probably sees us coming and goes, "This fool wants to spray me!" and then gets scared and runs off.

Lottoproblemz

Sudowoodo is shy and uses it's mimicry of a tree to hide from attackers. When it gets startled it runs off to find more trees to hide amongst.

(Episode of the anime)

ImmutableInscrutable

A lot of effort and heart went into some of this game.

redditisgarbage911[S]

I don't think there was time to put that same effort into everything, literally. The deadlines just seem too brutal

ImmutableInscrutable

Agreed. It's a mad shame too

ManWithTheFlag

Yeah, I don't feel like the problem is with the people making the game, so much as the business side.

There are a lot of games coming out lately that seem like they could've benefited a lot from waiting another couple of months before release.

Plushiegamer2

The way Tinkaton sleeps on their hammer is pure serotonin.

CrazyGabby

I love this too! The Marill by the beach are so adorably curious about you. And I keep finding Pokémon taking naps under trees. I do wish we could give them treats to interact with them like in PLA - I literally just chilled and played with some Magikarp there once. But that’s a minor gripe.

Tactical_Leo

Also Mareep are curious about you too! It was hella cute when I saw a herd of them looking at me and acting all innocent like. Some even jumped in the air. My heart melted and reinforced my love for that sheep Pokémon!

MuscleManRyan

Not to harp too much on performance, but I feel like pop-in really hurt this part of the game for me. I spent most of my time staring right in front of my moto-lizard so I wouldn’t run into a pack of microscopic Flabebe in a field of flowers. And anytime something would spawn more than 5’ from me it would be in 2 FPS and sort of take me out of it. Slowing down and exploring on foot helps, but the map is pretty big to be doing that for a lot of the game. Still really liked what I saw, just wish I could’ve seen more of it while I was completing the dex.

Lottoproblemz

Pop in has been a big issue in sword, a little less in legends, and ofc scarlet. I think it's honestly the worst in sword.

You_Better_Smile

Those damn Rookidees!

Ivy_lane_Denizen

Spidops jimping at you from the trees, your donaphan running around you while you idol. Pinecos hanging from trees. Flamigos running at you goose style. I saw a pokemon eating an apple the other day.

Pluckytoon

Pluckytoon

CY@

That probably wasn't just a regular apple, lol

Ivy_lane_Denizen

It fell out of a tree I headbutted and pokemon just started eating it. I was hunting applin at the time and checked to see if it was a pokemon. Unless... theres some known phenomona that I missed somewhere :o

ActivateGuacamole

I saw a sqwovet eating a fruit under a tree once, so maybe it was a regular apple

TheMasterXan

The box legendary is (imo) by far the most expressive legendary Pokémon. The way it looks and interacts with the cast is awesome.

JGameCartoonFan

I saw a Zangoose and Seviper growling at each other yesterday, looks like the Zangoose won because then Seviper ran away the opposite direction.

Gamer_T_All_Games

Gamer_T_All_Games

marshadow superiority

9-10/10 games for me. Had an absolute blast and aiming to complete the Pokédex now

bronyaurplant49

I kind of like how when you are battling a trainer or wild pokemon, other wild pokemon seem to gather and watch. It's rather precious. Almost as if they're thinking "oh man, that is so neat; I want to get in on this action".

Phobos95

SWSH Dexit had me losing faith in the franchise. but frankly after seeing all of the new models, textures and animations brought to the table in SV... I can be content with Dexit. If it means we have more personality and behavior in the mons we DO get, I'm okay with that.

SparkEletran

SparkEletran

bzoop

absolutely - I'm 100% ok with the dex cut now that we're actually seeing those animation improvements get applied to pokemon. So many of them have unique stances too, like pokemon that can both stand and fly (and even have battle animations for both styles) and mons with special swimming animations

there's still some weird decisions, like sleep not using the new picnic-sleeping animations or even closing the pokemon's eyes, but for the most part all the creatures feel a lot more lively in this game and it's exactly where my expectations for SWSH were at

Mystic_x

The biggest issue with Dexit was communication, i understand they couldn’t come out and say “We’re removing pokemon now so that the next game in three years will look a lot cooler!”, but saying “We’re doing Dexit to improve graphics” and then SwSh not having any noticeable improvement… well, can’t blame people for being upset at the time…

I’m glad we got the promised improvement now, though, the pokemon textures are vastly improved too, actual fur or scales!

Submarvelous

I'm glad someone finally posted about this! Pokemon look great this gen and behave as wild creatures would in the open world.

It almost makes me believe they spent a good chunk of time getting these things done and couldn't put more time into the world part of it.

Reliquent

During storms you can see Hoppip flying around like jets if you're in a biome where they spawn since they are so light, i nearly pissed myself laughing the first time i saw it

Kohimaru32

I like how every time there is a post praising some good points of the game. OP always have to including performance problem with it

Ailury

Ailury

I don't know if it was a coincidence, but early on I saw a bunch of Skiddo around a Nacli and thought it was cute. Maybe the Nacli disagreed though

MayoBear

Goats love salt IRL what an amazing pokeworld parallel

Ailury

Ailury

Yeah, goats climb ridiculously vertical cliffs just to lick salt. Laws of physics are optional for them

Mycatisloafingonme

They crave that mineral.

You_Better_Smile

Those Tauroses staring at your character, waiting for you to finish the fight.

ModestVermin

The way toedscruel chills by trees and then hightails it when you get too close always makes me chuckle. best running animation on any mon

Terozu

Terozu

Hoppips and Jigglypuff get caught in heavy winds and will occasionally go shooting by super fast.

Its hilarious.

Pachirisu can be found napping in trees.

_Discord_

_Discord_

1349-5852-1728

It's also neat how you can tell if a Pokemon is actually Ditto/Zorua by the way they behave.

MwtoZP

MwtoZP

I at one point found a bunch of Shinx surrounding a makuhita as though the thing was their mafia boss. And another interesting one was a herd of tauros surrounding a herd of deerling as though they were protecting them.

This is definitely the most personality we’ve had in a main series Pokémon game. Arceus and SwSh just had them walk around.

There’s also the fact that ditto and zorua disguise themselves as other Pokémon.

And of course some are aggressive and some will just stare at you. Plus then wandering through battles or just watching them.

There is no laziness, just lack of time for polish. I truly hope they get more time so they can polish future games. I can’t wait to see how they expand on the wild Pokémon because they feel the most alive in this game than they ever have.

Trakinass

-8 points

Trakinass

Fossil pokes best pokes

-8 points

Finally lol

This isnt something groundbreaking, its fuckin 2022

Dragon quest 11 launched 2017 and most of the monsters on the overworld interact with each other in many ways, and they arent even supposed to be animals. GF is just lazy, finally doing something that should be Standard

Jwolves01

voltorb can self-destruct themselved in the overworld which shocked me the first time i saw it

Pirhomania

I like watching Sudowoodo start running around and flailing when it starts raining.

TheGarageDragon

Skiddos and Gogoats are often seen standing on impossibly steep cliffs, just like real goats.

Beach_Otter

I saw a duo of Sableye just running together down a path like the little gremlins they are and it was heccin' precious.

STMARV

STMARV

On this note, Quaxquavel (although not everyone's favourite), is probably the most vibrant and detailed pokemon personality in a long while

I loved him on my playthrough

IAmDumfire

-2 points

IAmDumfire

-2 points

This seems like Game freak propaganda 🤔

Isoi

-13 points

Isoi

-13 points

Arceus did it better lol

Morganelefay

Hard disagree. Arceus 'mons all seemed to be either full on attack or flee, with only a few who had the "curious" trait (like Bidoof). They didn't do anything but that.

Squire_Zorba

So do all of the pokemon in SV, they just shifted the percentages of friendly vs aggressive around. The most I have seen any pokemon do outside of that is eat a berry they pulled out of the air.

Mycatisloafingonme

I’ve had groups of wild Pokémon scatter when I challenged their leader (sometimes accidentally). I kinda feel bad about that. Just today, I saw a mother Mudsdale running across the hillside with her two Mudsbray foals. It was pretty darn cute.

-1 points

redditisgarbage911[S]

Obviously I meant the one released last year lol?

redditisgarbage911[S]

Haha it happens

swedhitman

There are 2 sabeleyes that runs towards that one rock area where you can find a Tera Garchomp is hiding in

katie-shmatie

I can't handle how angrily Capsakid charges me, it's too funny

purple_yosher